Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Steam & Excursion > Age of Steam Roundhouse Fires Up M&NF #12

Date: 07/18/18 03:23
Age of Steam Roundhouse Fires Up M&NF #12
Author: crankpin

The Age of Steam Roundhouse is pleased to announce that former Morehead & North Fork 0-6-0 #12 was successfully fired-up and operated around the AoSRH property in Sugarcreek, Ohio, on July 16 and 17, 2018.

This is the first derelict steam locomotive to be totally rebuilt and brought back to life at the AoSRH shop. M&NF 0-6-0 #12 was always a sentimental favorite of AoSRH founder, Jerry Joe Jacobson, who saw this locomotive in regular operation on the M&NF during the early 1960s. Jerry purchased #12 during 2011, and authorized the loco's total rebuild before he passed away in September 2017. Jerry would have been very happy and proud to see #12 under steam once again.

Formerly Southern Railway 0-6-0 #1643 built by Alco Pittsburg in 1905, #12 sports the Southern's usual top-lever steam whistle. The tender's cistern and coal bunker are of new construction on top of the original tender frame. The rebuild was done under the direction of long-time steam expert, Tim Sposato, AoSRH's chief mechanical officer.

To see photos and a short video of #12's first test runs, please visit our webpage at: www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com.

Date: 07/18/18 07:15
Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse Fires Up M&NF #12
Author: Frisco1522

Beautiful job!  I still have trouble wrapping my brain around that whole complex that JJJ built.  I haven't been there but it is just awesome.
After helping restore 1522 outside, we would have killed for that shop.

Date: 07/18/18 14:53
Author: krm152

Great to see the locomotive restored.
I saw #12 on May 20, 1978 (Forty Years Ago) displayed at an open house held by the Morehead & Morgan Fork RR.
Thanks for posting the photo and information about the restoration.
ALLEN

Date: 07/18/18 20:57
Author: OHCR1551

On the long-ago video, Jerry talked about his dream of a roundhouse. The idea that it would actually happen...! It's a dream of a roundhouse, all right. When we were there June 9, 12 didn't look that close to done. She surely does now.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 07/19/18 05:49
Author: co614

Congratulations to Tim Spasato and his crew of pros for a job well done. As this is one of Jerry's favorite engines I'm sure he's looking down upon her under steam and smiling.

Great progress. Ross Rowland

Date: 07/19/18 12:16
Author: flash34

What a nice surprise. I remember they were working on her but had forgotten all about it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/19/18 19:21
Author: gregscholl

We did a show last fall called "Vintage Steam In The East".  There is a segment of #12 shot around 1962.  I was there with my father, brother and a friend who shot the film footage.  Looks like they did a nice restoration.  This would have been a nice engine for the Sugar Creek Train.
Here is a link, and the #12 footage starts at the 22 second mark.  Cool to have footage of an obscure engine in regular service that we now see restored again.
http://www.gregschollvideo.com/vintage-steam-dvds.html

Greg Scholl

Date: 07/21/18 17:15
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Oh, this is soooo wonderful!  She's ALIVE!!   :)  And what a beautiful, beautiful whistle!!   She's a real sweetie.   I, too, am sure that JJJ is overjoyed with her rebirth.  

Here is a link to the video of her very first run under steam -- at the Age of Steam:

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=120

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds