Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Polished Up NKP 765

Date: 09/17/18 18:00
A Polished Up NKP 765
Author: sierrawestern

Enjoyed very much 765's trips in the Chicago area this weekend.  As others have said here, many thanks to Metra management for allowing these trips to operate, to Norfolk Southern and the other railroads involved in the ferry moves and to 765's professional crew for putting on one fine show runby after runby after runby!  Thoroughly enjoyed myself as did others I invited out to witness a living page of American history thundering by.  
Question I have though.  What was done to make the engine and tender shine the way it did?  It looked very clean which is always nice but it had a high polish shine to it as though the crew used Kiwi shoe polish and buffed it out to a high sheen.  Looked absolutely great in my opinion and with the sunny weather the entire weekend the engine and tender were one beautiful sight to behold!  I remember shortly before the NS folded their steam program in 1994 611 operated a Chicago-Fort Wayne, IN round trip and had that same high polished shine to it.  Just wondering. 

Date: 09/17/18 18:10
Re: A Polished Up NKP 765
Author: mdogg

It was just repainted after they finished the 1472.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/17/18 18:44
Author: andersonb109

On steam photo charters, most serious photographers prefer the locos to look as they have been used. Often it's a challenge to get owners of the locos to grimy them up a bit. They often can't understand why most of us want them that way. 

Date: 09/18/18 05:41
Author: wcamp1472

Make that “most”,   into “ some of us”.....

So, you want grimy, grungy engine and a shiny train?

Also, if you want the grunge, then pay FWRHS for a filthy, grungy-engine Photo Charter..... 
That way you get to ‘decorate’ the engine the way you want....

The grunge washes off easy, too.
But, as part of the contract, I’d stipulate that the chartering organization arrange to clean the engine off ( at their expense) ,  
after the ‘shoot’

​W.

( The crew that keeps it up, gets to display it as proudly as they choose,
Put in the sweat, hours,  and the million$,——  and you get a voice for grunge.
 Otherwise, your opinion is as good , and has as much ‘pull’ ,  as anybody else’s opinion.).

Date: 09/18/18 08:37
Author: NKP779

New boiler jacket and fresh paint.......

Date: 09/18/18 08:39
Author: Englewood

Grateful to see a modern steam engine running at high speed on the main line.

As long as they don't put elk antlers and a phony stack on it, I don't care what it looks like.

I presume many riders, who paid serious money to ride, were not "serious photographers".
It would have been disrespectful to show up with a dirty engine.

Have you ever been to  a car show?  I have not seen many guys who, after spending untold hours
and money rebuilding that 57 Chevy or 68 Charger, show up with it looking dirty.

The Fort Wayne RR Historical Society did a fine job. Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/18 09:34 by Englewood.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds