Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Steam & Excursion > Diesels - Sacrilege!!

Date: 10/18/18 09:09
Diesels - Sacrilege!!
Author: scoopdejour

Perhaps not the best place to post diesels but I have a purpose.

While Wes and I were doing prep work on the 127 in the CNJ Bethlehem, PA roundhouse for yet another HICO trip, I took time on my lunch break to photograph the current power of the day. I know very little about diesels, they don't interest me, but I respect the technology of internal combustion. The few that I've had the chance to ride and/or, it's like driving a rail bound computer. However, they remain and our steamers don't. Never to return. No doubt some of these diesels have already met the torch.

My purpose is simply this. If you have an opportunity that suits you with any steam operatinon, show up. If you like the crew and they like you, that's a great start. It's not always cash but more like sweat equity. Catch whatever you can as you can. Not to brag but The High Iron Company produced dozens and dozens of safe, steam powered, mainline excursions but they're all gone now. These were made possible by a host of quality volunteers that Wes & I and others vetted. Like everything you see in my photographs, it's all gone to my knowledge. Last. time I drove passed this shop it was level ground and no tunrtable. Obviously steam operations are few and far between, but more than we had in the mid '60's, so if one appeals to you, give it a shot. I've met life long friends from beating on staybolts and then some!

Photographer: Hank Webber - April 4, 1968
1)  Long Gone Line up
2)  GP shinny new
3)  Covered Wagons needing a HICO treatment

Respecfully,
Scoop

Date: 10/18/18 13:53
Re: Diesels - Sacrilege!!
Author: E25

That's an awesome set of "dismal" scenes, Scoop!

Actually, I enjoy both steam and diesels (...at least the early ones).

Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 10/18/18 19:18
Author: perklocal

Great shots! 1532 looks good dripping wet!

Date: 10/19/18 16:00
Author: HB90MACH

The first pic, the fr right two locos are probably still around The one is an SD either 38 or 40 All of which went to conrail and NS. Probably rebuilt now but still out there. the switcher might be on a short line now

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds