Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Steam & Excursion > PRR K4s 1361

Date: 01/04/19 17:30
PRR K4s 1361
Author: WauhopM

Has anyone heard anything about this locomotive?

Date: 01/04/19 18:06
Re: PRR K4s 1361
Author: HotWater

WauhopM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone heard anything about this locomotive?

No.

Date: 01/04/19 18:12
Author: co614

Its restoration has been taken over by Messrs. Bennett Levin & Wick Moorman. They are in the planning phase and will not be making any public announcements until there are concrete steps getting under way.

The 2 incompetents in Altoona who produced the 12 year, $ 3 million dollar previous fiasco have been totally separated from the new effort.

Under the leadership of Messrs. Levin & Moorman I'm confident that the job will get done correctly and that she will provide many years of reliable service.

My WAG is it will take 3-5 years to complete.

Ross Rowland

Date: 01/04/19 20:11
Author: wcamp1472

My fantasy...

if it was possible, ‘politically’ & ownership-wise I would take advantage of the economies of scale to rebuild 3 locos, all using the same boiler design.   The costs of single set-ups of construction jigs, single use mandrels, set of machine-time makes it possible to conceive of making the same parts that are used on the same 3 boilers.

I would tackle the 1361, the 3750, and the PRR L1, 2-8-2.  The changed position of the sand dome on the L-1 is of no real consequence.

The adaptation of today’s manufacturing techniques to steam locos has been bright to brilliant combinations by the so far, great success of the PRR T-1 Trust and their outstanding engineering work, so far with that project.

There is much that T-1 group has accomplished and discovered, that connects directly to the K-4 re-manufacturing process.
it makes sense to collaborate on the projects where suitable and where appropriate.

THAT, is my wish, going forward, that would save lots of dollars , both in fabrication of duplicate parts and in the production of future spares, for the shelves of parts to keep them running..   it is in copying the intent of the Standard Railroad of the World,
that the real monument to success would represent.

The two locos that are the property of the Museum would remain the Museum’s property. The 1661 ownership would remain where its is now.

There have been millions of dollars spent ( wasted) on the 1361, probably enough to have done what I dreamed about, already.

That’s what i’d like to see, as well as bring rational management of money and resources — to construct 4 dynamic, operational 
monuments  to the glory days of steam.

W..

(. I would also look to converting the Pennsylvania fleet to burning waste restaurant fryer oils.  It’s a cheap source, soot free, and in abundant supply. The EPA recognizes and praises the Grand Canyon RR for that RR’s use of that steam loco fuel & it keeps that raw pollutant out of the Nation’s land fills ...)

Date: 01/04/19 22:47
Author: MC6853

Okay, so the obvious question (sorry if it's been covered already)... Levin wouldn't install PTC on his E8s so as not to mar their authenticity... So assuming he'll keep the same logic for 1361, where exactly does he plan to run it?

Date: 01/05/19 02:09
Author: ClubCar

MC6853 Wrote:
> Okay, so the obvious question (sorry if it's been
> covered already)... Levin wouldn't install PTC on
> his E8s so as not to mar their authenticity... So
> assuming he'll keep the same logic for 1361, where
> exactly does he plan to run it?
Maybe since this will be a complete reconstruction, Mr. Levin will find a practical way with his engineering group, to build in PTC, then again, maybe he will only operate this steam engine on a regional or short line railroad somewhere.  Only he knows the answer; however I wish him all the best in conquering a tremendous undertaking.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/06/19 09:12
Author: dan

or file a PTC exemption

Date: 01/06/19 14:42
Author: mdogg

Regarding PTC, Fort Wayne and 261, among others, are already working together on this issue. Therefore, I hope Levin contacts them to help solve the problem.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/19 14:47 by mdogg.

Date: 01/06/19 17:59
Author: HotWater

MC6853 Wrote:
> Okay, so the obvious question (sorry if it's been
> covered already)... Levin wouldn't install PTC on
> his E8s so as not to mar their authenticity... So
> assuming he'll keep the same logic for 1361, where
> exactly does he plan to run it?

Just my opinion but, I don't think you explanation about WHY Mr. Levin doesn't want to spent the money to install PTC on his E8s has anything to do with effecting their "authenticity".It probably has much more to do with Amtrak not allowing him to operate his "special trains" any place on the Amtrak system.

Date: 01/06/19 18:02
Author: co614

Guys,guys, get a grip. Don't you think that 2 total professionals like Bennett Levin & Wick Moorman who have committed publicly to restore this engine to service can handle a relatively minor issue like PTC ??  A $ 100-150k item within a several million dollar budget is no big deal.

Relax and know that its now in the hands of folks who will deliver.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Date: 01/06/19 18:41
Author: wcamp1472

Three numbers that are sure-fire targets for instant, spurious commentary:
Big Projects and everybody thinks they’re experts.... comments get flying.
Come out to support the engines when they’re hot and rolling.

I’m also interested in the progress on 2100, 2102, 148, and LIRR G5 ( now at Strasburg),
Also PRR 5550, the T1.
There’s lots to get excited about.

W.

Date: 01/06/19 20:43
Author: Check_A1E_Perf

Agree 100%,Wes.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/08/19 16:24
Author: 611Doug

AMEN!  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1218 seconds