Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > In honor of Lynn Nystrom

Date: 01/16/19 12:11
In honor of Lynn Nystrom
Author: tolland

Over the years, I had the incredible privilege to spend time with Lynn "Nasty" Nystrom. Lynn really liked my wife and in 2004, she was able to ride with Lynn and Steve in the cab of the 3985. Here's a picture of Carol Burrill with Lynn that was taken that day.

Date: 01/16/19 12:23
Re: In honor of Lynn Nystrom
Author: HotWater

Now that is a GREAT photo, Jim! I always enjoyed when your wife was working in the souvenir car. Thanks for posting that.

Date: 01/16/19 12:25

You are welcome, Jack. I've always appreciated your information as well. I've been reading many of your posts while lurking here over the years. Oh, that reminds me of another set of pictures I'll post shortly.

Best,
Jim Burrill

Date: 01/16/19 16:11
Author: Bob3985

That is a very special photo Jim. I always enjoyed the company of you two. And Lynn was my all time best friend. I remember way back in 1977 when I convinced he and Mary to come out west to work on the UP knowing that the old Rock Island was on its final legs. So many times I have memories of Lynn and the close friendship we had.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/16/19 16:24
Author: nycman

2007, Fife Yard.  No other comment necessary.

Date: 01/16/19 19:23
Author: gbmott

. . . and then there was Lynn in his Elvis outfit pulling out of Memphis enroute to the Clinchfield Santa Train.  He is missed.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/19 04:02 by gbmott.

Date: 01/16/19 19:35
Author: Frisco1522

Lynn was a super guy, great sense of humor and was great to work with.  Any time I was around and he was firing, he would say "Sit down here, you know what you're doing".   I had a great time with that old crew and really miss those days.

Date: 01/17/19 06:34
Author: Bob3985

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lynn was a super guy, great sense of humor and was
> great to work with.  Any time I was around and he
> was firing, he would say "Sit down here, you know
> what you're doing".   I had a great time with
> that old crew and really miss those days.
Those were indeed good days, Don.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/17/19 07:05
Author: RoadForeman

Here's another one; with another departed brother Reed Jackson taken in 2006.

Date: 01/17/19 07:15

Another one from 2007 near Boone, Iowa.

Date: 01/17/19 07:20

The photo of Reed and Lynn is great. Reed and Lynn were very close. Lynn was great at making up names for various members of the crew. I'll let someone else bring Reed's nickname up but it is recorded permanently on the UP Steam caboose which now resides at the Pomona Rail Giants museum in California.

Date: 01/17/19 07:22

"Nose pickers"...

Date: 01/17/19 07:32

Lynn was sweating profusely on this very hot afternoon eastbound nearing the Kate Shelley Bridge.  I had the honor of firing for him on this shift, the "working" conductor was trying to reach the Foreman in charge of a Form B, before cell phone usage was prohibited.

Date: 01/17/19 11:37
Author: UP6936

On our way to Portland to join up with the 4449, while going to eat in the Dalles, a UP public relations person along with us on the trip asked Steve "Why does Reed let you guys call him puddinhead?"   Steve doesn't miss a beat and says "Well he figures is better than s***head".  We all bust out in laughter.  In all honesty we all got along well, and had fun on trips.  Not a day goes by that I don't have something that reminds me of Lynn, and I always enjoyed the conversations with Reed. 

Date: 01/18/19 08:43
Author: wag216

Lynn was 1/2 of a great team! Ms Mary was the other half and we loved both of them! wag216

Date: 01/19/19 17:43
Author: bodkin6071

As famously seen in the Pentrex "Clinchfield Challenge" video...

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . and then there was Lynn in his Elvis outfit
> pulling out of Memphis enroute to the Clinchfield
> Santa Train.  He is missed.
>
> Gordon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds