Home Open Account Help 192 users online

Steam & Excursion > Things were tough during our Narrow Gauge visit in 1966

Date: 04/06/19 18:36
Things were tough during our Narrow Gauge visit in 1966
Author: gregscholl

There was apparently a washout on the Farmington line, so there was little activity around Durango during our visit.  However we did find out about a special train that was running east from Durango, with 2 water cars and a caboose.  This was likely to fill a cistern at one of the locations along the D&RGW line toward Chama.  We chased it as far as Gato(Pagosa Junction). Not a quality camera and not color.
(1) K-36 2-8-2 484 backs to its train just north of the roundhouse, preparing for departure eastbound
(2) Sister engine 483 sits outside the Durango roundhouse
(3) 484 and train being paced along the line relocation east of Arboles.
Greg Scholl (continued)

Date: 04/06/19 18:41
More 66 shots

Continue the chase east.
(1) 484 beside us, with blurred drivers.....Way before Mitch Goldman did these on purpose!!!! :)
(2) Along the river about to enter Gato, where we ended the chase.  Somewhere on another computer I have a shot taking water at the tank in Gato.
(3) The next day before we headed to Ohio(1300+ miles) we see the NG roundhouse in Alamosa.  488 is on the right.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 04/06/19 22:52
Re: More 66 shots
Author: lynnpowell

I always assumed that the tracks in the stalls of the roundhouse were all dual gauge.  But this photo proves different, left to right they are dual gauge, narrow gauge, narrow gauge, standard gauge, narrow gauge, and then standard gauge into that "thing" that isn't a stall.

Date: 04/07/19 07:08
Re: More 66 shots

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always assumed that the tracks in the stalls of
> the roundhouse were all dual gauge.  But this
> photo proves different, left to right they are
> dual gauge, narrow gauge, narrow gauge, standard
> gauge, narrow gauge, and then standard gauge into
> that "thing" that isn't a stall.

I believe thats because there was a NG and SG section of the roundhouse.
This is what remained of the NG section. You can see part of the RH that was demolished to the right.
In later years this was all that remained, and I believe the dual gauge was in the event they needed to put a diesel
in there from time to time. The big Alamosa Steam shop would have been way around to the right beyond the old end of the roundhouse.
Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds