Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Moment Of Your Time, Please

Date: 05/07/19 08:38
A Moment Of Your Time, Please
Author: walstib

I would like to take a moment to acknowledge Union Pacific steam manager Ed Dickens, pictured here at Granger, Wyoming, and his crew for everything they did to bring the 4014 back to life.

It was under Ed's tutelage, amidst much hard work, long hours, and a myriad of obstacles along the way, that they achieved what many said never could or would be done.

With the backing of Union Pacific, Ed and his crew did it, and Ed and his crew deserve acknowledgement for for their accomplishments. 

Look no further than this video I shot yesterday of the 4014 departing Granger to see the results of the 4014 restoration.

Thanks for all the hard work and dedication to getting the job done, Ed, and everyone who worked on this project.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/07/19 09:06
Re: A Moment Of Your Time, Please
Author: CNWJim

I second the motion.

Date: 05/07/19 10:17
Author: andersonb109

I wonder if now the nay Sayers will give it up and realize Ed did a commendable job under a very tight time line. Some of the comments made against him here in the past boarded on slander. 

Date: 05/07/19 10:53
Author: mojaveflyer

I'll echo the comments above! A great video.... There are many who would complain if you gave them a $100 bill because five $20 would be easier to break. :-(

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 05/07/19 10:58
Author: Ibis

It's clear the man knows his stuff.  I can only imagine the long hours, skill and determination it took to make this project happen.  My hat is off to Ed, and the entire steam crew; excellent work that is bringing a smile to so many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/19 11:03 by Ibis.

Date: 05/07/19 11:41
Author: locogimp

You did a nice job with the video! Is the UP 8937 DIC?

Jan Austin
Chico, CA
J.G. Austin Photography

Date: 05/07/19 11:55
Author: 462pacific

I think he is asking directions to Ogden.

Date: 05/07/19 12:16
Author: pe1624

I'd like to add my congrats as well.  I thought it was pretty impressive that he was able to talk the UP into restoring a Big Boy.  To take on a project of that magnitude and deliver the goods as promised is very commendable.

Date: 05/07/19 12:28
Author: UtahJames

462pacific Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think he is asking directions to Ogden.

Na, he is asking about any good places to eat in Ogden!

AND, I raise my hand in support of your call out regarding the epic job Ed and the steam crew brought to fruition. I cannot imagine the things Ed had to deal with outside the Steam Shop at the corporate level. I hope you feel an acute sense of accomplishment and pride!

Date: 05/07/19 14:31
Author: goduckies

I wouldn't say 5 years is a tight time line. But yes I give him credit for getting done looks like all is going well now for the most part and I hope it stays that way. Was never routing against him, just didn't need to hear the crow comments etc. And if you don't want to.hear negative opinions of him stop calling that out.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/07/19 17:40
Author: JHF

Five years IS a tight time line when you don't have 5 years. Remember that 844 needed to be rehabilatate before 4014 could be started and that required 2+ years. So the 5 years vanished into 2 years+. Ask Dilbert how that works and you'l discover  "how time flyes when your having fun."

Date: 05/07/19 18:44
Author: RailRat

Absolutely Wonderful Video!
Nice Big Cold Air Steam Plumes and
Congratulations to The Steam Crew!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 05/07/19 18:56
Author: portlander

andersonb109 Wrote:
> I wonder if now the nay Sayers will give it up and
> realize Ed did a commendable job under a very
> tight time line. Some of the comments made against
> him here in the past boarded on slander. 

I'm pretty sure that hell has frozen over, because I agree with this comment.

Date: 05/08/19 00:42
Author: Sasquatch

Couldn't have said it better myself, walstib!  WELL DONE Ed, steam crew, and contractors...thank you for bringing back Big Boy!

As for the Debbie Downers, are they still here?  Whatever.  I'd rather watch hot steam than listen to hot air.

-Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/19 08:17 by Sasquatch.

Date: 05/08/19 06:45
Author: Jsporseen

Probably I should know the answer to this question, but I don’t.  Under Ed Dickens and below 40414, what does 1 - 68, 24   24  /  32, 540DB stand for.  The 4-8-8-4 I know.  Thanks

Date: 05/08/19 07:19
Author: HotWater

Jsporseen Wrote:
> Probably I should know the answer to this
> question, but I don’t.  Under Ed Dickens and
> below 40414, what does 1 - 68, 24   24  /  32,
> 540DB stand for.  The 4-8-8-4 I know.  Thanks

1) "4-8-8-4-1" means that the 4014 has a wheel arrangement of 4-8-8-4 and is also from the first order of 20 locomotives.

2) The "68" indicates the diameter of the drive wheels, i.e. 68 inches.

3) The "24 - 24 / 32" indicates that there are two sets of cylinders, both with 24 inch diameter pistons, with a 32 inch stroke. On a compound articulated locomotive, the cylinder diameters would be much larger on the front engine, than on the rear engine.

4) The "540" indicates the weight on drive wheels in thousands of pounds, i.e. 540,000 pounds weight on drivers.

5) When the 4014 was a coal burner, it had a Standard Stoker, MB type. However, I have no idea what that "DB" means

Date: 05/08/19 07:58
Author: kinnearyard

i can remember when they were in regular revenue service so this is much ado about nothing to me.  But for the younger generations l am  surprised so many are turning out to see a steam engine . It would have be better if 4014 was by itself , didn't need 844 . The diesel could have hauled the whole consist  home if it broke down.  

Date: 05/08/19 09:12
Author: Check_A1E_Perf

Is it me or is Ed's hair a little whiter these days?

Job well done to all in CYS!

Date: 05/09/19 14:46
Author: Boomer41

A fantastic project and dream for many people has been done, hats off to Ed Dickens, the UP Steam Crew, UP managment, contractors etc. Well Done Folks!!!.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0916 seconds