Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Steam & Excursion > About Those Rules Prohibiting Parking Along A Freeway.....

Date: 05/12/19 18:12
About Those Rules Prohibiting Parking Along A Freeway.....
Author: walstib

With the number of fans vastly outnumbering officers, Utah's Highway Patrol was largely unable today to enforce those pesky rules that prohibit parking along a freeway.

Date: 05/12/19 19:39
Re: About Those Rules Prohibiting Parking Along A Freeway.....
Author: PHall

All they need to do is drive along and video all of the licence plates. You'll get your prize in the mail!

Date: 05/12/19 19:56
Author: phthithu

Great angle capturing the mania!

Date: 05/12/19 20:08
Author: Valleyman

Look at all the idiots in the background along the mainline. I assume picking up coins left on the rail. Ruining it for future events.

Valleyman

Date: 05/12/19 20:34
Author: lupislune

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All they need to do is drive along and video all
> of the licence plates. You'll get your prize in
> the mail!

They probably did.

Date: 05/12/19 20:39
Author: rob_l

Actually, they accepted people parking on the grass completely off the pavement. Parking on the paved shoulder was a no-no.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 05/12/19 20:43
Author: justalurker66

Traffic on the highway seems heaver behind the train than in front of it.  Pacing?

As for the infractions, it is easier for the police to let it go. This is not the first steam show that I have seen with people parking illegally ... or trespassing. Keep people safe, but otherwise why fight a losing battle? The trespassers on the track are a bigger issue.

Date: 05/12/19 20:49
Author: atsf121

I noticed that in your video Brian. Did they not have the Incident Management trucks driving along the shoulder like they did Wednesday? They had a bunch of those and it seemed to keep the shoulder clear then.

Wonder if it was because they were all up at the route to Promontory. Saw a ton of the trucks and UHP cars and motorcycles when we went out yesterday.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/12/19 21:48
Author: UP6936

Wyoming Highway Patrol was issuing a ticket just outside of Evanston to someone parked in the median of I80.  Of course this was just after a semi drive came off the ramp at the port of entry forced his way in ahead of me and almost took out two cars trying to get to the passing lane.  If I had not hit the brakes I am sure he would have put the trailer wheels over the hood of my truck.  While I am speaking of bad driving, not sure who was driving the Trains chase van but they were quite impatient at Castle Rock and cut off quite a few people to get to the entrance to I80.  Other than that lets keep it safe out there we have had 62 deaths on highways in Wyoming this year, and we don't need to add to that total. 

Date: 05/12/19 22:35
Author: towazy

It didn’t seem like they were bothering anyone paled just off the shoulder,as long as you were not impeding traffic.

Tom

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/12/19 23:17
Author: A-1

towazy Wrote:
> It didn’t seem like they were bothering anyone
> paled just off the shoulder,as long as you were
> not impeding traffic.
>
> Tom
>
> Posted from iPhone

We parked off the freeway once. A state patrolman stopped and kindly informed us we were fine where we were but do not park any closer if we moved to another spot.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/13/19 00:13
Author: dan

being a sunday perhaps UHP was more low key, fewer people working including  themselves, and mother's day

Date: 05/13/19 06:49
Author: BAB

Try driving a semi in traffic guy many dont understand that if they are trying to change lanes its up to you to yeald if possible.  But many dont understand that I know as my wife was one trying to put up with drivers who only can extend one finger to them.  Same when they are entering on an on ramp but hey they have it so easy dealing with four wheel idiots.

Date: 05/13/19 07:39
Author: cjvrr

At least last week, once west of Echo Canyon a lot of the people looking at the train were locals.   I also saw plenty of them placing coins on the rails and looking in the gauge after the train passed.

I too noticed the police were not bothering people that parked well off the road.  In other places, like Devil's Slide they had one officer on each end of the parking area.  As long as you were between them, you were fine.   The PD did that on other ramps too.

Date: 05/13/19 10:18
Author: UP6936

Not going to get into a driving lesson here but on ramp traffic is expected to yield to the traffic on the interstate, and yes I have driven many large vehicles in my day so I know the rules to the road. 

Date: 05/13/19 11:49
Author: jst3751

UP6936 Wrote:
> Not going to get into a driving lesson here

Yet you just had to respond

> but on
> ramp traffic is expected to yield to the traffic
> on the interstate,

It is also illegal to stop on an on-ramp (to wait for traffic to clear) and it is also illegal to drive on the shoulder.

> and yes I have driven many
> large vehicles in my day so I know the rules to
> the road. 

So what? Do you actually know what it takes to get 40 tons moving onto a freeway?

By your reasoning, during rush hour traffic in Southern California with a steady stream of cars, what exactly do you think (based upon your knowledge of driving laws) a truck trying to get onto a freeway from a circular short on-ramp designed in such a way that the maximum speed that track may be able to obtain before driving onto the freeway is only 40 MPH should do? Stop and sit there and wait for the next hour or two then hit the freeway to 10 MPH from a stop?

Date: 05/13/19 13:09
Author: Xander24

Safety in numbers

walstib Wrote:
> With the number of fans vastly outnumbering
> officers, Utah's Highway Patrol was largely unable
> today to enforce those pesky rules that prohibit
> parking along a freeway.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds