Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Highly Hypothetical Portland Question

Date: 06/04/19 15:48
A Highly Hypothetical Portland Question
Author: A-1

I've been working in and around downtown Portland for a while. I've noticed some MAX stops have three tracks with platforms, there is a spur by the Lloyd Center, and a few other "extra" places something could be spotted and viewed up close. I've also noticed the track nearest the UP main at ORHC looks to be straight in line with the MAX orange line. Ignoring all the red tape and basic logic of why it would never happen, it got me wondering... If ORHF or one of its affiliates ever got a Willamette, and Trimet graciously allowed a connection to the ORHC spur, how far could it go on MAX? Is anyone here familiar enough with MAX grades, weight limits on bridges, and curvature as compared to what a Willamette could negotiate? Again, this is just a matter of mechanics, not operational logic.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/04/19 19:28
Re: A Highly Hypothetical Portland Question
Author: asheldrake

interesting question.......while I am no expert in mixing modes of mass transit....the heavy/light rail diamond outside ORHC and all the controls there of would lead me to believe that mixing heavy and light rail on the same track is a VERY bad thing.    and yes I have fond memories of the Vintage Streetcar siting on the spur opposite the DoubleTree near the Lloyd Center.    

Date: 06/04/19 22:11
Author: gobbl3gook

I've lived in Portland for 11 years.  What's a Willamette?  

Ted in UT

Date: 06/04/19 22:26
Author: radar

gobbl3gook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've lived in Portland for 11 years.  What's a
> Willamette?  
>
> Ted in UT

A steam powered logging locomotive (and a river).

Date: 06/04/19 22:53
Author: Jim700

gobbl3gook Wrote:
> I've lived in Portland for 11 years.  What's a Willamette?  
>
> Ted in UT

Ted, it's a brand of geared logging locomotive built in Portland by Willamette Iron & Steel.  Check out the many discussion threads listed at

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/search.php?10,search=Willamette+Iron+%26+Steel,author=,page=1,match_type=PHRASE,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=0

Having run and fired a Willamette, I'll take the hogger's side of the cab any day account the uninsulated backhead is so close to the seated fireman's legs when running forward.  My shins blistered terribly.

Date: 06/05/19 06:58
Author: A-1

asheldrake Wrote:
> interesting question.......while I am no expert in
> mixing modes of mass transit....the heavy/light
> rail diamond outside ORHC and all the controls
> there of would lead me to believe that mixing
> heavy and light rail on the same track is a VERY
> bad thing.    and yes I have fond memories of
> the Vintage Streetcar siting on the spur opposite
> the DoubleTree near the Lloyd Center.    

Arlen, even in my fantasy scenario, the Willy would only make its run to and from display locations after MAX was done for the night. I imagine the public woukd hate all parties involved if they had to wait on a light steam engine move during their commute. And, a MAX spur into ORHC would also make preserving a 1st Generation MAX unit a lot more easy!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/05/19 12:54
Author: Kimball

I believe that the OP was asking if a flexible steam loco, of the Shay or other geared type with separate trucks, could handle the curves and grades used in a modern electric transit line like in Portland. 

Anybody?

Date: 06/05/19 13:49
Author: CPRR

Kimball Wrote:
> I believe that the OP was asking if a flexible
> steam loco, of the Shay or other geared type with
> separate trucks, could handle the curves and
> grades used in a modern electric transit line like
> in Portland. 
>
> Anybody?

I would try it in HO scale first, then move up in scale.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds