Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Steam & Excursion > BB today...

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 07/18/19 05:30
BB today...
Author: Keystone1

While I appreciate all the hard work, money and time you all have put in, taking pictures and sharing the adventures of the BB train running across Iowa....I have to say, IMHO,  it looks stupid with trees, grass, cornfields and the like.  It just looks nothing like Robert  Hale pictures in Beebe’s, “The Age of Steam”.  It looks more like a painted up park engine being pushed to its new museum home. I know...I know.., if you don’t like it Keystone, STAY HOME.    I get it.       I chased it for 2-weeks in May.   It didn’t look much better then, although the scenery looked more normal for a BB.  It is just lacking dirt, filth, road grime and SMOKE.   You guys ever see motion pictures depicting the 1940’s or 1950’s with street scenes with vintage cars?   Some will look brand new from the local car club.  Other movies will take the time and effort to coat them with realistic road grime.   You know which film looks better.   Same with a model railroad with weathered cars and locomotives.   Well....at least she NOW has a set of builder’s plates....she didn’t when going to Ogden.

Date: 07/18/19 06:12
Re: BB today...
Author: Hillcrest

Well shoot, I don't think re-creating the 40's or 50's is their goal, is it?  They may have had some folks in Omaha who were interested in viewing "where all the money went" and want it to look like the fully restored classic machine that it is here in 2019.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 07/18/19 06:22
Author: Emmo213

From a business public relations perspective which is preferable?
1) A dirty steam locomotive which looks like the owners don't care enough to wash it
2) A shiny steam locomotive where the owners are proud to showcase their history

To an extent I agree with you but these pieces of machinery ultimately aren't doing what they were designed to do. They were designed to move tonnage over the road as economically as possible, but now they're used as a public relation tools. It's just an entirely different ballgame. 

Date: 07/18/19 06:43
Author: BAB

Wow is there anything that doesnt get someone griping about it? Forgot its TO again.  Oh and it did run that hurts some peoples feelings real bad, AT LEAST its out there not sitting in a PARK cold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/19 06:44 by BAB.

Date: 07/18/19 07:24
Author: CPRR

Hey Keystone, you want smoke and the BB? Go here:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4830788

Date: 07/18/19 07:49
Author: SamRae

BAB, couldn't agree more.  They'd complain if you hung them with a new rope, as the old saying goes.  My friend, the late Ray Short used to say "show me yours" when people complained.  He was right.

Date: 07/18/19 07:52
Author: tracklight

My goodness, the Trainorders collective IQ is getting lower and lower each and every passing day.

Date: 07/18/19 08:13
Author: Spoony81

tracklight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My goodness, the Trainorders collective IQ is
> getting lower and lower each and every passing
> day.

Don't lump everyone in with Keystone's constant whining. He thinks everything steam related should look like something out of the 1940's.

Date: 07/18/19 09:30
Author: radar

The solution is simple.  Photoshop the grime into the photo, if that's what pleases you.

Date: 07/18/19 09:34
Author: robj

I think everyone has views of what should be, could be or what they like.  I take comments as just that, one persons thoughts, evaluations.  My feeling is the short runs during the mid day does not lead to the best photography.  I realize the goal is to have stops at times local people can see the train and schedules in synch with the other  railroad  personnel and crews.

I would note that one of the best days photo wise was the early departure from Rock Springs leading to the early light photos at Granger.  High point of the trip for me was then leaving Green River and arrivingleaving Granger.  Nothing like steam at first light.  That doesn't mean I think they should rearrange their whole schedule as there are other priorities.  It is just my observation just as the OP made his.  I think his observation that photo wise hard to beat what was done out west.

Bob Jordan

Date: 07/18/19 12:11
Author: kurt765

Keystone1 Wrote:
> While I appreciate all the hard work, money and
> time you all have put in, taking pictures and
> sharing the adventures of the BB train running
> across Iowa....I have to say, IMHO,  it looks
> stupid with trees, grass, cornfields and the like.
>  It just looks nothing like Robert  Hale
> pictures in Beebe’s, “The Age of Steam”.
>  It looks more like a painted up park engine
> being pushed to its new museum home. I know...I
> know.., if you don’t like it Keystone, STAY
> HOME.    I get it.       I chased it for
> 2-weeks in May.   It didn’t look much better
> then, although the scenery looked more normal for
> a BB.  It is just lacking dirt, filth, road grime
> and SMOKE.   You guys ever see motion pictures
> depicting the 1940’s or 1950’s with street
> scenes with vintage cars?   Some will look brand
> new from the local car club.  Other movies will
> take the time and effort to coat them with
> realistic road grime.   You know which film looks
> better.   Same with a model railroad with
> weathered cars and locomotives.   Well....at
> least she NOW has a set of builder’s
> plates....she didn’t when going to Ogden.

Wow. I think the only thing that would make you happy is if you could be teleported back in time to the heyday of steam. Clearly, anything else is just unacceptable.

Date: 07/18/19 12:46
Author: Keystone1

Kurt765......Hummmm...You may be right.   Even though I went to see the BB out of Cheyenne....it seemed so plastic. Some called it a pushed whistling boiler.  But I wanted to finally tag a live BB.  Maybe I had too great an expectation that this was finally it. The world’s greatest steam engine.  I am glad I went however, and talked to Ed for a half hour.

Date: 07/18/19 15:15
Author: Frisco1522

I don't know WTF to say.   I'm sure a lot of us would like to see it filthy and pulling 100 wood reefers.  It is what it is.  If it is so unpleasant, go somewhere and contemplate your navel or something.
Personally I'm going to write Ed a nasty letter and tell him how offensive his shoes are.  I can barely stand them.

Date: 07/18/19 20:57
Author: tehachapi-dave

Keystone1,
I usually let your comments go and enjoy the more productive discussions/contributions here on TO, but this is too much.  You have stated this same opinion at least a dozen times, so why the heck do you think you need to keep sharing it on every other steam post and its own post every other week.  We get it, you want it to look like the 1940/50’s.  Guess what?  There isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell you’re EVER going to get it, SO STOP ASKING!!!  
I agree with Kurt765, teleport yourself back to the 1940’s, but make sure to give back your computer, DSLR, TO subscription, and other modern camera equipment.  Make sure to grab your 1940’s film camera, and plenty of cash to pay for the film to be developed.    
IF the fact that the engine is polished, and running outside its original territory irks you so much start a whole thread on TO about it, I think you have more than enough time to start looking across the US for equipment to build your dream photo charter train with the 4014, and to start collecting funds and willing participants to pay the probably $10,000+ per person something would cost if it ever got approved (which it never would.).  I sure wish I had the spare time to whine and moan about such a trivial thing every three days.  

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.  

Date: 07/18/19 21:09
Author: Mgoldman

robj Wrote:
> I think everyone has views of what should be,
> could be or what they like.  I take comments as
> just that, one persons thoughts, evaluations.
>
> Bob Jordan

BINGO.

It's awesome to see it, we're all (mostly) greatful
to UP for making it happen and...  it does look
dumb, lol, in Iowa.  It would probably look dumb
in Philadephia too, but BRING IT!

/Mtich

Date: 07/18/19 22:42
Author: pennsy3750

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> I don't know WTF to say.   I'm sure a lot of us
> would like to see it filthy and pulling 100 wood
> reefers.  It is what it is.  If it is so
> unpleasant, go somewhere and contemplate your
> navel or something.
> Personally I'm going to write Ed a nasty letter
> and tell him how offensive his shoes are.  I can
> barely stand them.

^ Best post of the night right there!

Date: 07/19/19 07:24
Author: sgriggs

I agree seeing a Big Boy running among green trees and lush farmland looks a little strange.  It reminds me of the O gauge train layouts you would see in Classic Toy Trains with Big Boys and other Western prototypes running through model mountains that looked like the Appalachians.

Date: 07/19/19 07:43
Author: aehouse

Roar. Snort. Fart.

Date: 07/19/19 07:49
Author: dan

snort

Date: 07/19/19 11:48
Author: nickatnight

Keystone1 Wrote:
> While I appreciate all the hard work, money and
> time you all have put in, taking pictures and
> sharing the adventures of the BB train running
> across Iowa....I have to say, IMHO,  it looks
> stupid with trees, grass, cornfields and the like.
>  It just looks nothing like Robert  Hale
> pictures in Beebe’s, “The Age of Steam”.
>  It looks more like a painted up park engine
> being pushed to its new museum home. 

Yes, Keystone, you are correct. EVERY museum or collector in the world should return their paintings, sculptures, etc, etc, to the building or field they were created in. Nothing less is authentic, nor worthy of a second glance. 

In fact, you should discard your internet devices immediately, they are hardly original and surely disgusting.  

Nickatnight

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds