Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Steam & Excursion > Switzerland Steam Charter on the Furka Pass

Date: 09/06/19 13:37
Switzerland Steam Charter on the Furka Pass
Author: andersonb109

Having taken the advice of several TO posters, I've figured out how to correctly orientate numerous vertical photos. So here goes for Switzerland.  Last week I was privileged to join a group of many well known steam photographers for the "Furka III" photo charter.  The third such event on the famous Furka Pass route between Oberwald and Realp. This narrow gauge line was once the domain of the famous Glacier Express and was bypassed by the Furka Bass Tunnel in the re-inactors dressed in clothing appropriate of the 1920's and 1930's. My friend Yana and her son Kyrell joined me for the occasion.  Before driving to Oberwald, we first stayed two days in Lucern. There, we sailed to ride the steepest cog railway in the world, the Pilatus Bahn. Sadly, our departure was not one of the paddle steamers pictured here, but rather a normal diesel hauled ship. Behind Yana is Mt. Pilatus, our ultimate destination.

Date: 09/06/19 13:40
Re: Switzerland Steam Charter on the Furka Pass

More from the Pilatus Bahn followed by two cable cars to get down. The final leg of the so called "Golden Round" is done by bus back to the city center.

Date: 09/06/19 13:46

Following a visit to the excellent Swiss Transport Museum in Lucern, the next day we drove to Oberwald on a winding steep Furka Pass road. For the less brave, there is a car shuttle train between Realp and Oberwald. The next morning, it was the service train back to Realp for the days journey back to Oberwald on the charter in less than ideal weather conditions. Three locomotives were used for the charter. First photo is the service train entering the Furka Base Tunnel. Next are Yana and Kyrell waiting for the next service train departure at Oberwald Station all dressed up in their vintage outfits ready to go. And later once aboard the charter.

Date: 09/06/19 13:55

Here is loco No. 6 coaling at Gletsch, a former tourist stop to view the Rhone Glacier, now receded from view as seen in photo no. 2. Third is loco No. 4 ready to depart Gletsch bound for Oberwald. The sight of the Rhone Glacier can be seen above the passenger cars. Third the guard helps Yana load her bag onto the train. 

Date: 09/06/19 14:02

The only sunny shot of day 1 was on the bridge going downhill near Oberwald. Fortunately day 2 provided sunny and warm weather. We ran only to Gleitch and return. Before boarding in Oberwald, While others slept, I drove over to Gletsch to photograph the morning activities at the small shed. I was the only participant to do so. Loco in the foreground is HG 4/4 No. 704 recently restored to operating condition. Third is our mixed train approaching the station at Oberwald, one of there trains we would see that day. 

Date: 09/06/19 14:08

Loco No. 4 with it's train on the Rotten Bridge just west of Gletsch. Here the train enters a circular tunnel to gain elevation.For the second day, Yana changed into her flapper outfit complete with gloves, fake pearls, vintage working cigarette holder and seamed stockings. She was clearly the favorite of the re-inactors photographers.Third photos is No. 704 and No. 6 at Gletsch.

Date: 09/06/19 14:19

Our train passes vintage autos on it's return down the steep grade to Oberwald. Yana was offered to "drive" one of the vintage vehicles for the entertainment of the photographers. (oops, for some reason that one wouldn't orientate correctly. :(  And last, your intrepid photographer in a Red Wings cap waiting for the next train's departuer with his favorite passenger.  Thanks for viewing. 

Date: 09/06/19 14:30
Author: jcaestecker

Some amazing machines there.  Always enjoy your photos and travel tales.  Thanks for sharing them.

-John

Date: 09/06/19 15:48
Author: BobP

I like the pics in black/white.

Date: 09/06/19 18:40
Author: Keystone1

Fantastic pictures!    MORE!      And more pictures of Yana.    We have seen her before.

Date: 09/07/19 07:38
Author: ajax247

Great pix -- number 10 is absolutely brilliant. Thanks!!!!

Date: 09/07/19 10:35
Author: engine3420

Great photos. thanks for posting
Chris

Date: 09/07/19 11:11
Author: RWS4449

Great photos Bruce
Have a great trip on Moonlight Dome and Birch Grove. Please post some photos. I can't make AAPRCO this year as I have to be a trial witness that week.
Next passenger rail for me will be the Blue Train and Rovos Rail.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/07/19 12:16
Author: mundo

Looks like you had a blast.

I rode the old line summer of 1954, but have not had the money or time to go back for the present line.

Date: 09/07/19 13:52
Author: CPRR

Fantastic !  Makes me want to go. Yana photos well, like the outfits. Very early 1930's. Know she can't be that old....

Date: 09/07/19 14:14
Author: jbwest

Thanks for the pix.  I was hoping to join you on the charter but events intervened.  Looks like a good time was had buy all.

JBWX

Date: 09/07/19 15:55
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds