Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Steam & Excursion > Seventeen Years Ago Today on Saturday, October 19, 2002

Date: 10/19/19 07:23
Seventeen Years Ago Today on Saturday, October 19, 2002
Author: Jim700

In the same thought of looking back as in my previous post, here on 10/19/2002 the late Joel King caught me running the SP&S 700 about 25 miles west of Bozeman, Montana where the temperature we 28° when we departed.

Date: 10/19/19 08:28
Re: Seventeen Years Ago Today on Saturday, October 19, 2002
Author: WoodwardEJ

A bit later on October 19, 2002, SP&S #700 did a photo run-by at Clarkston, Montana.  The temperature was still chilly, so the exhaust was spectacular.

Date: 10/19/19 08:57
Author: tc

very nice images man I wish MRL would let this happen again.

Date: 10/19/19 09:01
Author: HotWater

tc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> very nice images man I wish MRL would let this
> happen again.

Yes, except all those nice passenger cars are gone.

Date: 10/19/19 09:49
Author: hawkinsun

Thanks for sharing these photos.  It's gorgeous, and I got to see it too.  OMG, seventeen years ago, already ?   I hope to see her again, but she won't have any semaphores to pass next time.

Ted C, or anybody, please show us your shots through the semaphores.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 10/19/19 09:51
Author: train671

Those trips from Sandpoint, ID down to Billings, MT and back were very scenic
and well done.  The 4449 also ran the same route a year or so later.  With today's
limitations by the railroads it might be a challenge to get any type of steam back
to that area not to mention where would the passenger cars come from.  This
opportunity disappeared mostly because the costs just got to be too high  but for
those that were able to ride behind either of these two old beauties (700 & 4449)
these were enjoyable and well run opportunities.........

Date: 10/20/19 20:59
Author: grizzledgary

My wife and I were very fortunate to ride this "Montana by Steam" trip in 2002 as well as what would prove to be Montana Rockies Rail Tour's very last excursion before ending operations, the 2004 edition of "Montana by Steam" behind ex SP #4449. Whenever I see a reference to these trips I recall most pleasant memories mixed with the sad realization that nothing of this sort is likely to happen again. The availability of a such a well maintained consist located in some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet overseen by a top notch staff and management team on a cooperative host railroad willing to operate big steam on multi day outings was just too good to last. These trips remain not only the most enjoyable rail travel we have ever sampled but also rank among the most important experiences of our lifetimes, they were that special. 

"Very scenic and well done" really is an understatement. There seemed to be a picture perfect image almost anytime we looked out a window and the level of service was above anything I'd ever witnessed on rails let alone behind steam power. Of course the vestibules were open and if one happened to be crowded there was plenty of room in the next one and there were more runbys than you could ever have expected. On board commentary about the areas we passed through was provided by an author that had published several works about the region. The food, hotels and transportation off the train were all first class as well. I was told the bottom line for MRRT was never better than break even after ten seasons and if an operation of such quality and value cannot be profitable I'm pretty well convinced there is no market for such offerings in this country. 

In talking with the V.P. of MRRT while on board behind #4449 in October of 2004 I was told the steam powered excursions were an effort to both extend their operating season and to attract a different market, those with an interest in "nostalgia" and steam even if not necessarily "rail fans" by definition. The plan was to invite a different mainline steam locomotive to pull these late season specials every two years. At the time ex-Milw. Rd. #261 was said to be their next choice to do so though I have no knowledge if there were ever any talks with the 261 group. Ultimately a moot point but I've often thought of what could have been for more than a few large steam locomotives with so few places to run.......          

Date: 10/20/19 21:32
Author: hawkinsun

I may have seen you in the vestibules.   I would have loved to have ridden behind either of those trains but work got in the way.  I did sneak away from work though and the chase was fun but scary.   They sure were fun to watch.  It reminded me of chasing CB&Q and GTW fan trips out of Chicago in the 1960s.  I wish my dad was around for these trips too.

Well, just dreaming, what would it take to get Milwaukee Road #261 out West ?   They do have a perfect train of cars, and a locomotive well suited for the job, and  they really seem to have their chit together.  Wouldn't be cheap, but I'll bet it could be done.  It would have to be in the Winter or wet season though because of the coal sparks.   I'm just dreamin.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.07 seconds