Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Steam & Excursion > Woman Comes Within Hair's Breadth of Being Creamed By PM 1225

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/09/19 13:17
Woman Comes Within Hair's Breadth of Being Creamed By PM 1225
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

There was ALMOST a repeat of the incident with the UP 844 in Colorado a couple years ago.  

A small piece of her coat was ripped off by the train. 

And people wonder why railroads trash their steam programs.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/19 13:19 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/09/19 13:24
Re: Woman Comes Within Hair's Breadth of Being Creamed By PM 1225
Author: LoggerHogger

Simply unbelievable.

Martin

Date: 12/09/19 13:34
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Here's another one from a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/16kCRTFJr04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/19 13:35 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

Date: 12/09/19 13:38
Author: DKay

Wow,that's pretty hard to watch.Bet it was a worrying moment for the crew.
Regards,DK

Date: 12/09/19 13:54
Author: sptno

When I was in Flatonia,TX for the 4014, there was this very stupid lady who was taking pictures at a road crossing standing in front of the train.
Someone told her to move that she was going to get hit, she told the man it still far enough away.
He yanked her and she realized that in deed the locomotive was extremely close.
She told the man it look far away, via the view finder.
It would have happened about 6-7 feet in front of me.
Lots of people don't have a clue.
Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 12/09/19 13:55
Author: gregscholl

I have shot video at Carland so know exactly where this is.  Seems like its the rookies who mostly don't understand the overhang of the train on the rails.  Even worse than this is the amount of overhang on a 3 foot narrow gauge line.  We were told to stay 3 feet minimum to clear the engine on a photo special years ago.

When I went to Europe to shoot steam in Germany in the early-mid 1970's we stayed at a guesthouse at Lathen on the Rheine-Nordeich Line.  A group of Brits was there photographing an express train with a 3-cylinder pacific and one of the guys was on the other track of the double-track line.  A train going in the other direction also with a steam engine hit him from behind as he was so intent on photographing the other one.  He was killed.  To make matters worse he was the tour leader!!!!  These trains were all in regular service, and these were not planned photo trains like we have today!

(Edit)  This happened a few months before we were there, so it was related to us by some local fans or some other Brits during our visit.

I nearly saw a car get hit by a diesel train in 1994 on the New RIver trips.  Was at Hurricane, WV and the Milw 261 was powering the train.  This was double-track and the steam train was on the south main nearest us, and there was a little siding there between us and the steam excursion. As the last coach of the steam train goes by I turn to shoot it going away, and a chaser is about to fly over the crossing behind us to continue his chase of the steam train. Some guys yelled at him, and banged the top of the car to make him stop.  Thats because a diesel freight was hammering along on the other side of the steam train and it was getting there just about the time the last passenger car cleared the scene.  I was asked not to put that in my video!!!!  The worry was that these types of incidents are what cause railroads much concern when it comes to allowing these types of special trains.

Be safe----you only have one life!!

Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/19 13:59 by gregscholl.

Date: 12/09/19 13:59
Author: hawkinsun

That person should be arrested for simply being an Idiot.   No excuses.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 12/09/19 14:00
Author: Bob3985

Just like sptno, it is basically up to us to prevent the worst from happening. If we don't, a few more of these incidents will bring an end to all railroad events for the public to see.
Thank goodness the UP had their Special Agents out on advance of  and around the train.Let us all kick in and assist with these folks that do not have a clue what they are getting into.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/09/19 14:11
Author: PlyWoody

The crew men almost fell out of the cab they were waving so hard to get her to notice.  Steam engines need a steam pipe which will shot steam at the front sides to scare people like this and then ........  .Look at it in frame by frame and the dumb woman barely moved or even saw she was in danger.

Another program would be to hire a contractor like Sperry who will use a Hi rail pick up truck and run any route of a steam engine in advance and spray a line with sulphur 25 to 30 feet from the track, both sides,  to made the safety line just like on a station platform.  The sulphur will wash away in time.

Date: 12/09/19 14:24
Author: HotWater

My two comments:

1) Why didn't the person taking the video of the idiot lady, do/say something? He/she just kept on shooting! Go figure.

2)The process of opening the cylinder cocks has always had an effect on moving the people back further away. I have seen the "open cylinder cocks" work many hundreds of times over my career.

Date: 12/09/19 14:55
Author: hawkinsun

Maybe a Hi Rail with a Soccer net mounted to the front,  a loud speaker, and water cannons, just ahead of the train.  What should be a good safe distance from any moving  train ?   Ten feet from the rail sounds too close for me.  You can't really see chit being that close, and your gonna get a face full of something.   The person taking that video didn't have enough time to react to the idiot women, and would have further risked their own life by attempting to pull the idiot out of harms way.

C Hanson
Vay,ID

Date: 12/09/19 14:56
Author: Alco251

Been my question each time I see this video...did anybody say anything to this person afterward?

Date: 12/09/19 15:51
Author: A-1

This video was making its rounds on various Facebook groups. Someone supposedly with the 1225 group commented that they found a small piece of fabric on the locomotive where it clipped her.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/09/19 15:53
Author: RoadForeman

Bob is correct.  Would you rather see someone die or do the right thing and, if necessary, physically move them out of harms" way?   Not everyone understands the danger, railfans need to step up and do their part.  Aside from the horror for the family and those trackside, you cannot imagine the implications for the engine crew.  Safety is everyone's job.

Date: 12/09/19 16:30
Author: dan

A-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This video was making its rounds on various
> Facebook groups. Someone supposedly with the 1225
> group commented that they found a small piece of
> fabric on the locomotive where it clipped her.
>
> Posted from Android

you can see it ripped and flutter,  imagine what she is saying to her homies,"geez i almost died"

water canyon with laser sensors is the answer, perhaps, 

Date: 12/09/19 16:58
Author: czuleget

Bottom line if I was filming something like that I'd be jumping into action, Whether I was watching or filming I'd stop what I was doing and pull her out of the way, always be aware of your surroundings at all times. I am so glad she was not injured.

Date: 12/09/19 19:01
Author: A-1

HotWater Wrote:
> My two comments:
>
> 1) Why didn't the person taking the video of the
> idiot lady, do/say something? He/she just kept on
> shooting! Go figure.
>
> 2)The process of opening the cylinder cocks has
> always had an effect on moving the people back
> further away. I have seen the "open cylinder
> cocks" work many hundreds of times over my career.

4449's ugly sounding air horn seems to be effective as well. People love to hear the whistle, so it's understandable that frantic whistle blasts might seem like part of the show to a non-railfan observer. Going from that sweet whistle to that almost belligerent air horn definitely sounds like "I'M NOT MESSING AROUND! MOVE, YOU IDIOT!"

Posted from Android

Date: 12/09/19 22:37
Author: asheldrake

yes, the 4449 air horn most definitely gets my attention.............Arlen

Date: 12/09/19 23:27
Author: nsrlink

HotWater Wrote:
> My two comments:
>
> 1) Why didn't the person taking the video of the
> idiot lady, do/say something? He/she just kept on
> shooting! Go figure.
>
> 2)The process of opening the cylinder cocks has
> always had an effect on moving the people back
> further away. I have seen the "open cylinder
> cocks" work many hundreds of times over my career.

EXACTLY right on both comments.
....and I wonder how many people present admonished her after the fact? Probably zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/19 23:30 by nsrlink.

Date: 12/10/19 03:20
Author: BAB

Alco251 Wrote:
> Been my question each time I see this video...did
> anybody say anything to this person afterward?
>  
Hell you watch videos of people trying to remove someone from a burning wreck,  WHY were they filming not helping, same with some one getting beat up list goes on.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0805 seconds