Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Steam & Excursion > Former C&O 1309


Date: 02/07/20 08:34
Former C&O 1309
Author: ClubCar

Maybe you think I'm crazy; however, I have read the article in Trains Magazine, I looked at all the comments here on TrainOrders, yet I decided to send in a donation to the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad to get the steam locomotive 1309 completed.  I look at it this way:  we can all sit and rehash what has happened in the past which is not going to benefit this project, or we can be positive and move forward and send them a donation to get this engine running.  Also, contributions are tax deductible.  So I decided to be positive as I really do want to see this engine climbing up to Frostburg, Maryland and so that my grandchildren can also witness what main-line steam was all about in the bygone era.  I did mark my donation check "for the restoration of 1309 only" and I'm hoping that most of you steam enthusiasts will do the same.  We cannot cry over spilled milk anymore.  Let's think positive.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 02/07/20 08:37
Re: Former C&O 1309
Author: HotWater

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe you think I'm crazy; however, I have read
> the article in Trains Magazine, I looked at all
> the comments here on TrainOrders, yet I decided to
> send in a donation to the Western Maryland Scenic
> Railroad to get the steam locomotive 1309
> completed.  I look at it this way:  we can all
> sit and rehash what has happened in the past which
> is not going to benefit this project, or we can be
> positive and move forward and send them a donation
> to get this engine running.  Also, contributions
> are tax deductible. 

Really?  I was not aware that the WMSR was a non-profit 501c3 operation.

 



Date: 02/07/20 09:40
Re: Former C&O 1309
Author: akpsteam

Trains Magazine just posted some photos on Facebook on some recent work that was done to the 1309 showing that work on the lagging on the firebox, new piping, and front engine trucks completed and that the crown brasses have been machined.



Date: 02/07/20 10:14
Re: Former C&O 1309
Author: ClubCar

HotWater Wrote:

> Really?  I was not aware that the WMSR was a
> non-profit 501c3 operation.
The donation to the historic restoration of the engine I was told comes under a 501c3 donation.  Not the operation of the entire railroad.  If this is not correct, then I apologize.  I will verify this with someone from the Maryland State Government.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 02/07/20 10:24
Re: Former C&O 1309
Author: PHall

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HotWater Wrote:
>
> > Really?  I was not aware that the WMSR was a
> > non-profit 501c3 operation.
> The donation to the historic restoration of the
> engine I was told comes under a 501c3 donation. 
> Not the operation of the entire railroad.  If
> this is not correct, then I apologize.  I will
> verify this with someone from the Maryland State
> Government.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

You can verify it with the IRS too.



Date: 02/07/20 11:14
Full proof? No, but worth a chance
Author: jbwest

Let's not confuse a good cause with inept leadership, that runs a real risk of shooting ones self in the foot.  Usually there are ways to circumvent or fix a problem.  In this case I think Trains mag is being helpful by putting their own reputation on the line and shining a light on the process so that hopefully contributions will go where they should.  I suspect Gary Bensman is also stepping up to being a bit more than just a contractor.  Full proof?  No, but sounds like it is worth taking a chance on if you want to see the 1309 perform on the WMS grades.  I will send a check.

JBWX 



Date: 02/07/20 13:01
Re: Full proof? No, but worth a chance
Author: BKLJ611

I just donated 50 dollars. It is tax deductable 501(c)3. The tax information sent to me is as follows.
EIN:52-1584622
Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Development Corp.
13 Canal Street 
Cumberland, Maryland 21502



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/20 14:14 by BKLJ611.



Date: 02/08/20 18:23
Re: Full proof? No, but worth a chance
Author: redberan4449

BKLJ611 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just donated 50 dollars. It is tax deductable
> 501(c)3. The tax information sent to me is as
> follows.
> EIN:52-1584622
> Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Development
> Corp.
> 13 Canal Street 
> Cumberland, Maryland 21502

I had the same question.  Just a follow-up from an independent online search:WESTERN MARYLAND SCENIC RAILROAD DEVELOPMENT CORP13 CANAL STREET, CUMBERLAND, MD 21502-3052 | Tax-exempt since April 1990
  • EIN: 52-1584622
  • Classification (NTEE)
    Public Transportation Systems, Services (Public, Society Benefit — Multipurpose and Other)
  • Nonprofit Tax Code Designation: 501(c)(3)
    Defined as: Organizations for any of the following purposes: religious, educational, charitable, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition (as long as it doesn’t provide athletic facilities or equipment), or the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.
  • Donations to this organization are tax deductible.



Date: 02/08/20 18:30
Re: Former C&O 1309
Author: DTWilson

akpsteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trains Magazine just posted some photos on
> Facebook on some recent work that was done to the
> 1309 showing that work on the lagging on the
> firebox, new piping, and front engine trucks
> completed and that the crown brasses have been
> machined.

Those photos are a couple of months old....
 



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds