Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Steam & Excursion > Durango Diesels Finally Surface

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/28/20 19:56
Durango Diesels Finally Surface
Author: ATSF1129

Diesel Photos are in interview by Jim Wrinn of Trains Magazine with General Manager Jeff Johnson and Chief Mechanical Officer Randy Babcock of the D&SNG
http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/staff/archive/2020/05/27/17-questions-for-durango-amp-silverton-on-steam-diesels-and-the-future.aspx

Date: 05/29/20 00:22
Re: Durango Diesels Finally Surface
Author: rnb3

Yikes! That paint scheme does nothing for the historical theme of the railroad! I know the picture shows the unit still on shop trucks, but it sure looks like a giant carnival ride!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 05/29/20 02:59
Author: Ironman

I usually don't say squat about paint, whistles, etc etc because it's not my equipment and I'm not paying the bills....  However, that is just unattractive. I think we were all picturing some sort of Rio Grande theme.  I wonder what the thought process was?  An advertising company design?  An internal design?  

They are great company with awesome staff and I always wish the them the best of luck, but ewww!

Another reason not to like 2020!  (As if we needed one)

Have a nice weekend everyone!

-Alan

Date: 05/29/20 03:51
Author: dcfbalcoS1

And if this is what tourists will be riding behind, hell no. Many of us will NOT pay over $100 a person for this crap.

Date: 05/29/20 04:53
Author: mrwalsh85

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>         And if this is what tourists will be
> riding behind, hell no. Many of us will NOT pay
> over $100 a person for this crap.

If by "tourists", you mean 'railfans', then you might be right.

If by "tourists", you mean your average joe tourist who is wanting to take a scenic train ride, and doesn't know the first thing about trains/railroads other than they ride on steel ribbons, then you're probably wrong.

Date: 05/29/20 05:03

I don't think the average tourist cares and they are the ones really paying the bill, not railfans.   Tourists MAY know the difference between steam and internal combustion, but won't care about paint.  

-Alan

Date: 05/29/20 05:12
Author: Bob3985

When we would pull the Cheyenne Frontier Days train with 3985 or 844, most of the riders were busy partying or hanging out in the bacggage car waving at the fans chasing the train. They relly didn't have much concern about what was the power.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/29/20 06:25
Author: Frisco1522

I don't like diesels of any kind, but on these I think the old simple Rio Grande black with the yellow lettering would be a nice touch.  This is too gaudy for me.
I'm not paying for it though so I don't have a dog in the hunt.

Date: 05/29/20 08:20
Author: up833

i was thinking some form of Rio Grande color also. Basic black with bumblebee yellow running gear was my first choice. All black #2.
RB

Date: 05/29/20 08:30
Author: swingnose

Wow that is UGLY

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/29/20 08:50
Author: BAB

Well guess that a fitting paint color is not going to be one that will enhance anything other than again said, UGLY. They still will look very dumb kind of stubby with that color.

Date: 05/29/20 08:55
Author: sixaxlecentury

Durango and Silverton is not the D&RGW.   They deserve their own identity.   

Date: 05/29/20 09:05
Author: wingomann

It looks like the locomotive was designed by the same people who designed the diesels at the Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad.
http://railroadpictures.net/Miniature_Trains_and_Grand_Scale_Railroads/Billy_Jones_Wildcat_Railroad/BJWRR_2502/IMG_1498_tn1024.jpg

Date: 05/29/20 09:43
Author: g-spotter1

Taste is indeed subjuective, but that is just plain ugly....There I said it.

Date: 05/29/20 11:14
Author: wag216

Reminds me of a Whore in church! wag216

Date: 05/29/20 11:16
Author: sixbit

Not too bad of a look...IF it was Lionel ; )

John

Date: 05/29/20 11:59
Author: callum_out

2 years of work including design and this is what they come up with? And this in keeping with "old time" consist that it
will pull? Yikes.

Out 

Date: 05/29/20 14:11

wag216  Which church do you go to?  What time are services???

-Alan

Date: 05/29/20 14:17
Author: tomstp

Just do not like it.  Nothing else to say. (Oh black and Aspen gold where are you?)

Date: 05/29/20 16:29
Author: wko

I like the look of the locomotive itself (interesting if there's no dynamic brakes), but I echo the statements that the paint is bad. The D&S came out and said they didn't want a Rio Grande-like paint scheme, which I can respect. If it were me, I'd replace the orange(ish) with black, and maybe put a white stripe to separate the maroon and the black. I don't want to see the White Pass engines in this scheme!
~wko

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0683 seconds