Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Steam & Excursion > Almost 30 Years Ago, UP 844 + 6936 WB Minnedoka Idaho 6-29-90

Date: 06/23/20 22:26
Almost 30 Years Ago, UP 844 + 6936 WB Minnedoka Idaho 6-29-90
Author: RailRat

Video starts in Minnedoka,Idaho with Ken, my ex Father in law, who was more than happy to go see and chase a steam engine back then, he was a WW2 veteran, who grew up in Williamsport, Penn, and one heck of a nice guy, I thought it very necessary to include him in the beginning of video!, We caught the 844 at Minnedoka passing by at about 50 to 65mph?.

Ken was the driver, I was the camera operator, there weren't too many chasers at the start, because there were no direct road connection from the interstate to Minnedoka, it was kind of an "off the beaten path" place, but for These lonely Idaho roads back then, even 3 was a crowd, soon there were many more chasers that seemed to come out of the wood work on this lonely Idaho frontage road, but still we had pretty much front ROW viewing and driving back then!

Please exuse the camera goofs, but I included them as part of the Heat Of The Chase

This is only the start of footage we filmed or videoed that day, more to come this week.

I posted segments of this chase footage of 844 and 6936 here on TO back in 2017, but now I decided to re edit and start from the beginning.

I also posted my last footage of this steam trip a few weeks ago, of 844 + 6936 working up Medbury hill, but now I'm starting going to edit and show all of the footage i have in chronological order, including the rest of this chase, plus breaking up the train for overnight in Shoshone, then departure the next day.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/20 06:26 by RailRat.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/24/20 05:58
Re: Almost 30 Years Ago, UP 844 + 6936 WB Minnedoka Idaho 6-30-90
Author: Bob3985

Yep, that was our Centennial train to celebrate the state centennials of Wyoming and Idaho.
In Wyoming Governor Sullivan rode for a distance in the cab with us. 
In Idaho Governor Andrus spent all his time in back stumping for re-election.
That was the funny part in that they would have us pull up to spot the rear end at the crowd.
But the crowd would migrate to the 844 as soon as we stopped.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/24/20 17:05
Author: RailRat

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, that was our Centennial train to celebrate
> the state centennials of Wyoming and Idaho.
> In Wyoming Governor Sullivan rode for a distance
> in the cab with us. 
> In Idaho Governor Andrus spent all his time in
> back stumping for re-election.
> That was the funny part in that they would have us
> pull up to spot the rear end at the crowd.
> But the crowd would migrate to the 844 as soon as
> we stopped.

That is funny Bob LOL, and I did catch a few seconds of Ceicel Andrus and Smoky the bear during this trip, in Shoshone, which I will post as part of this series.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 06/27/20 22:12
Author: ProAmtrak

That had to of been embarrassing for the govonner!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds