Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Steam & Excursion > Putting 40 away for the night

Date: 09/07/20 18:33
Putting 40 away for the night
Author: webmaster

Mason and I got back from a week of running our handcars across the Nevada Northern Railway. On our final night, John Rimmasch who was employed as a consultant invited us into the cab of #40 while he was training newer crew members. For documenting our handcar I fashioned a shock absorber plate for my GoPro and thought it might be interesting to attach to the side of the locomotive.  I am sharing a video of the last few minutes as the locomotive is put away for the night.  John's voice can be heard in the background.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/07/20 18:40
Re: Putting 40 away for the night
Author: wp1801

Very interesting point of view!

Date: 09/07/20 20:27
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Neat video.

Don Allender

Date: 09/07/20 21:06
Author: JDLX

Question, Todd....I've heard from sources that the #40's Form 4 expired sometime late last year, but it's obviously still operating.  Did they get some sort of waiver or extension to keep it going, or does it not expire until sometime this year?

Thanks...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 09/07/20 21:36
Author: MojaveBill

Super POV!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/07/20 22:43
Author: Wasatch-RR-Cont

In an effort to help Todd here;

The 40 was set to expire around April of 2020. At the suggestion of the Regional FRA inspector, the NNRY submitted a limited use waiver request to keep 40 in steam for the 2020 season. FRA granted the waiver and established a late October expiration date. The 40 is set to have a “going away party/pass the torch” (to No 81) the middle of October. Watch the NNRY page for more info about this event.

As per the Executive Director, the 40 will return to service as quickly as possible.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/20 04:04
Author: dschlegel

Great video, I can almost smell the wonderful scent of a working steam engine!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/20 06:56
Author: JDLX

Thank you John, I appreciate the insight. I’ll pass the info on to my friend who’s been trying to figure out how the 40 was still running. Thanks!

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/08/20 08:40
Author: co614

Mark Bassett the CEO of the NN deserves tons of congratulations for keeping that national treasure of a place vibrant and successful. As all of you who have been there know....it's the definition of remote. When my wife and I visited several years ago she kept asking " how much farther is it? ".  

Also good to know that a pro like John Rimmasch is teaching tomorrow's steam keepers how to do it safely.

Ross Rowland 

Date: 09/08/20 09:32
Author: randyr

Thanks for the update on #40, I was also curious as I thought its "time" had expired. I was able to attend my first photography session in Ely last February. In a word "spectacular". And like a previous poster stated, it is in the middle of nowhere. My wife wasn't with me, but I kept asking myself, "how much further?". Note to self, next time fly into Salt Lake City, don't drive to Ely from Phoenix. Great video and info, thanks.

Randy in PHX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds