Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Steam & Excursion > Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...


Date: 09/10/20 04:15
Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: bigsavage

FYI




Date: 09/10/20 05:26
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: Keystone1

Well.....that will save a lot of gas and film.......(yes, I said film).



Date: 09/10/20 05:41
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: ClubCar

I am not surprised by this announcement as so many things in Maryland have been closed for much of the year including our Baltimore Streetcar Museum.  What few places are open are suffering with fewer people attending especially here in the Baltimore area due to the pandemic and also because of the Squeeze Punks along with crime in general.  Hopefully the Western Maryland Scenic will continue to receive donations to finish the 1309 so that it will be pulling trains up to Frostburg, Maryland in 2021.  I know that there are still many of you who are skeptical and others who feel that because of their past problems with money donated, they do not wish to send them any more.  Well in my opinion since the completion of this locomotive is so close, everyone should consider making a donation to get it done ASAP.  Send any amount to: Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, 13 Canal Street, Cumberland, MD 21502.  Donations are tax deductible for the most part.  Thanks.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 09/10/20 08:04
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: WP-M2051

What are "Squeeze Punks"?



Date: 09/10/20 10:45
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: Ironman

It's a good idea to wait at this point .  It's a bummer, but wise.

What is the word on the track to Frostburg and the use of TT?  Is any of that an issue for 1309?

Thanks & stay healthy,

-Alan
 



Date: 09/10/20 11:39
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: ClubCar

WP-M2051 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are "Squeeze Punks"?
They are young kids and teenagers in Baltimore City that go to various intersections and when there is a red light, they come up to your car and try to clean your windshield.  If you say NO, sometimes they will throw a rock at your car and other times they will scratch the paint on your car, and in a few cases when there has been a large group of them, some have been known to actually jump up on the hood of the car and then jump up and down causing damage.  There have also been incidents where they have broken car windows.  So many people no longer go into downtown Baltimore because of these situations.  These incidents have been covered by the news media both on TV and in newspapers.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 09/10/20 11:59
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: bigsavage

He means "squeegee gangs".
I doubt that C.C. has actually seen any, several years ago they could be seen at an intersection near the B&O Museum.
One should always be alert while driving in urban areas due to people being in the streets for any number of reasons...



Date: 09/10/20 13:50
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: masterphots

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not surprised by this announcement as so many
> things in Maryland have been closed for much of
> the year including our Baltimore Streetcar
> Museum.  What few places are open are suffering
> with fewer people attending especially here in the
> Baltimore area due to the pandemic and also
> because of the Squeeze Punks along with crime in
> general.  Hopefully the Western Maryland Scenic
> will continue to receive donations to finish the
> 1309 so that it will be pulling trains up to
> Frostburg, Maryland in 2021.  I know that there
> are still many of you who are skeptical and others
> who feel that because of their past problems with
> money donated, they do not wish to send them any
> more.  Well in my opinion since the completion of
> this locomotive is so close, everyone should
> consider making a donation to get it done ASAP. 
> Send any amount to: Western Maryland Scenic
> Railroad, 13 Canal Street, Cumberland, MD 21502. 
> Donations are tax deductible for the most part. 
> Thanks.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Since the 2017 tax law changes,  I wonder how many of us on Trainorders have tax deductions,  given the current standard deduction of $12/$24K.



Date: 09/10/20 14:59
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: ClubCar

masterphots Wrote:

> Since the 2017 tax law changes,  I wonder how
> many of us on Trainorders have tax deductions, 
> given the current standard deduction of $12/$24K.
This may be true for many; however I put this on here in case there are some folks who do make charitable donations and itemize their deductions on their tax returns.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 09/10/20 18:15
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: P

It's too bad they are in the state of Maryland and are forced to close due to decisions made elsewhere in the state - although you could say that about many states.  We were in the area over July 4th weekend and would have preferred to ride the train, but were forced to find other entertainment - which we did.  



Date: 09/10/20 18:29
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: bigsavage

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's too bad they are in the state of Maryland and
> are forced to close due to decisions made
> elsewhere in the state - although you could say
> that about many states.  We were in the area over
> July 4th weekend and would have preferred to ride
> the train, but were forced to find other
> entertainment - which we did.  
Walkersville Southern has been operating  since July, the state has moved to stage 3 recovery. This is just John Garner waving a white flag of surrender.



Date: 09/11/20 17:44
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: Tominde

The BIG breadwinner on WMSR are tour busses that fill autumn trains.  Not many of those this year.



Date: 09/12/20 02:48
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: Wolfman

Dumb Question? No test  runs ?



Date: 09/12/20 05:07
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: HotWater

Wolfman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dumb Question? No test  runs ?

Wouldn't "test runs" happen after it is finished? Next year?



Date: 09/12/20 05:51
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: Wolfman

  • Yep! It's finished when it's finished !



Date: 09/14/20 06:56
Re: Western Maryland Scenic says see ya next year...
Author: junctiontower

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well.....that will save a lot of gas and
> film.......(yes, I said film).

I would have guessed daguerreotype........



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0796 seconds