Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Steam & Excursion > A sure sign something is coming! There are everywhare!

Date: 11/18/20 10:32
A sure sign something is coming! There are everywhare!
Author: slacks

Colona ILL during the Steamfest of 2012. Cars from all over converge at the IAIS-BNSF diamond as 765 approaches the ex-CBQ line from Savanna to Galesburg line. Looks like 765 is clearing his boiler as he proceeds east. Four hot humid Iowa days but a good time.

Date: 11/18/20 11:19
Re: A sure sign something is coming! There are everywhare!
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. Whenever, something like this happens, it is funny, IMO, to catch the reaction of locals who are caught by surprise.

Example one: During the Freedom Train days one day the train went west on the old NYC (then PC) to Elkhart, Indiana, turned and then came back east and went around the wye at Kendallville and south on the old GR&I Grand Rapids Branch to Fort Wayne. So my uncle and I set up at Kendallville awaiting the return. (I had filmed the train earlier that morning at Brimfield.) With the crowd amassing along the tracks, a lady pulled up, rolled down her window and asked my uncle what the heck was going on. He replied, "The Freedom Train is coming!" With the look on her face as she was driving off, I don't think she knew what he was talking about and didn't want to know. LOL In those days we did not have the Internet, but my uncle, John T. Pierce, Sr., seemed to always know when steam was coming through or about some other special rail event. I think it was perhaps relayed through the infamous John Marti at Kendallvillle, who was a ham operator and railroader. My uncle was not a ham operator but he probably knew a few.

Example Two: When the 4449 was running from Chicago to Owosso some years ago headed for the festival, some friends and I chased it and set up in a small town in Michigan. Anyway, two local ladies walked up to us and asked what was going on and we told them. They had heard about it in the news and decided to stay and watch. They were not disappointed. And with the smiles and grins on their faces during the whole procession, one could tell they really enjoyed the experience.

But further down the tracks it was more somber. A number of raifans had congregated with at least one guy set up with his video camera. And here comes this local with his pick-up truck who announced innocently, "The steam train is com'n!" With that, the fan with his video camera told the guy, "Shut the F*** Up! I'm recording!'

But then there are some incidents where railfans trespass and trample on a farmer's field, for example.  But I do know of one farmer who took it in stride and just decided to watch the show.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/20 20:21 by wabash2800.

Date: 11/18/20 11:55
Author: Spoony81

The Train Festival in Rock Island was actually July 2011 not 2012

Date: 11/18/20 12:29
Author: Bob3985

Yes the fireman is blowing the firebox side sheet of the boiler to clear out the sediment.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/18/20 13:14
Author: MC6853

Aww, no coal boards... Flags are a nice touch, though... Good shots...

Date: 11/18/20 18:16
Author: A-1

One time we were waiting for 4449 just west of Bingen, WA. A crowd had formed. Some local parked nearby and began yelling a people that they did "NOT need to see some stupid train!" She had no effect on the crowd other than some laughs. When 4449 and 700 doubleheaded to Wishram, we waited at the same spot. A car with some Australian tourists pulled over and asked why they were seeing so many people with cameras along the highway. We told them an they got excited, as they had seen one once before and thought it was neat. I always love seeing excitement of people who ordinarily wouldn't care about trains when presented with a steam locomotive. I also love seeing the occasional person who seems to go out of their way to show they are NOT amused. Foamers themselves can also turn people off to steam moves. Minutes before 4449 and 700 derailed on the Holiday Express, I had been walking with some friends along the trail to show them how cool te engines were. As it approached, we leaned on the fence. Some foamer we hadn't noticed was set up along the trail and began screaming at us about ruining his shot as if we were the rude ones. Should've mooned him, in hindsight.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/20 19:53
Author: AndyBrown

Good photos!  I was there!

Photo by Milw86a

Andy

Date: 11/19/20 03:34
Re: A sure sign something is coming! There are everywhere!
Author: andersonb109

The two Chinese QJ's in Iowa. The train emptied out before it proceeded onward to be turned. It was a college town. I was approached by to students who asked what was going on with so many out with cameras. I explained about the train. Response from the one..."what's a steam engine?"  He is friend replied..."you know, the old black engines that make lots of smoke..like in the movies." I explained that in this case, both locomotives were younger than them. 

Date: 11/19/20 07:43
Author: MaryMcPherson

Just a thought on photo #1: if I were to attempt to film from atop my Grand Caravan, it would probably resemble a pickup truck after the experience.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 11/19/20 08:21
Author: BAB

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a thought on photo #1: if I were to attempt
> to film from atop my Grand Caravan, it would
> probably resemble a pickup truck after the
> experience.

Thinking that might have been a rental as those are not too strong and dent easily.  Still like the guy chasing UP steam on highway 14, convertable, top down, driving with his foot while filming.........................HELP.

Date: 11/19/20 11:23
Author: birdman

A huge crowd had gathered in St. Petersburg, VA to see the 611.  As it was being serviced, a fire truck pulled up to fill the tender with water.  A conversation between a man and woman went like this.  
Female:  "Ya all see that there train?"
Male: "Yep."
Female: "Ya all see that there fire truck?"
Male: "Yep."
Female: "That there train is on fire!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 11:24 by birdman.

Date: 11/19/20 11:43
Author: SP4360

Hold my beer.........

birdman Wrote:
> A huge crowd had gathered in St. Petersburg, VA to
> see the 611.  As it was being serviced, a fire
> truck pulled up to fill the tender with water.  A
> conversation between a man and woman went like
> this.  
> Female:  "Ya all see that there train?"
> Male: "Yep."
> Female: "Ya all see that there fire truck?"
> Male: "Yep."
> Female: "That there train is on fire!"
>  

Date: 11/21/20 14:07
Author: Frisco1522

One thing I always enjoyed running 1522 was catching people by surprise and seeing their reaction.
Early one morning we were leaving for Springfield from Lindenwood yard and really barking going up the hill.  It was just getting light and we went by an apartment building and a young gal was at the window jumping up and down and yelling at somebody "No shit, come here and look at this".
Another time, I was coming down from N. St. Louis about 2 in the morning and got on the elevated line along the riverfront.  We were drifting quietly and there was a drunk down in the parking lot peeing.  I blew the whistle and yelled "Stop peeing in the parking lot".  Guy staggerred around and must have peed on himself.  Funny.  Guess he didn't laugh tho.

Date: 11/21/20 16:05
Author: Goalieman

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> Just a thought on photo #1: if I were to attempt
> to film from atop my Grand Caravan, it would
> probably resemble a pickup truck after the
> experience.

You’re not alone Mary, I’m right there with ya!! Thank you. I needed a laugh today and your terrific post did the trick. Thanks so much!

Mark V.
“The Fort” in Indiana

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1509 seconds