Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Steam & Excursion > Age of Steam Roundhouse (photos)

Date: 01/07/21 00:08
Age of Steam Roundhouse (photos)
Author: mfmalk

Follow the link below to my recent images from the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Ohio. A Lerro Photography public shoot was tentatively planned for mid-2020, unfortunately the Covid-19 pandemic put a stop to the original event. Instead a smaller scale test shoot was organized by Pete to determine how a socially distanced charter could work at the museum.

Two large fog machines were acquired - within 20 minutes of running the entire roundhouse was bathed with an in-service smoky atmosphere. Combined with reenactors posing around the locomotives in various scenes, one would think we were in an active locomotive roundhouse.

Enjoy,
Matthew

Link to Photos

Date: 01/07/21 06:27
Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse (photos)
Author: flyingfred

Well done photos with period atmosphere!! Thanks for sharing.

-Fred-

Date: 01/07/21 06:29
Author: Cumbres

I love your photography and these are once again outstanding.  Thanks for letting us get a peak at them!

Date: 01/07/21 07:16
Author: Frisco1522

Outstanding staging and photography.  Very convincing.
I am totally awestruck at what JJJ created there.  He should still be around to enjoy it.
Thank you for sharing.

Date: 01/07/21 12:25
Author: raydrs

Excllent! Tgank you!

Date: 01/07/21 14:34
Author: nycman

Beautiful, as always, Matthew.  

Date: 01/07/21 16:28
Author: wabash2800

Simply wonderful. And I love the photo of the roundhouse cat (feline) in photo 26!

Is he a mouser?

I hope that someday we can have something like this in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/21 16:30 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/07/21 17:46
Author: srfreer

Meow!

Date: 01/07/21 18:30
Author: OHCR1551

Felix has his own Twitter account. He's @RoundhouseFelix.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 01/07/21 18:44
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing that! He looks like he has the run of the place. <G> There is a cat brush to the right, so it appears that he gets regular grooming. Back in the steam days, roundhouse cats were usually filthy as they hung out in the roundhouse with the locos and grease and black filth.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/21 19:48 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/07/21 20:15
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for sharing the link and images ... very nicely done!
Hope to be able to attend the next Age of Steam photo shoot later this year.

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 01/07/21 21:01
Author: WauhopM

Is that photo correct showing 6325 steamed up. I was a passenger on a train that was pulled by that locomotive in 2002 it would be nice to see that running again.

Date: 01/07/21 22:41
Author: wandle

"Is that photo correct showing 6325 steamed up [?]"

The locomotives depicted in these great photos made recently at the Age of Steam Roundhiouse Museum were not steamed-up. Except for GTW 4-8-4 #6325 that was towed out of the roundhouse and onto the 115-foot turntable for some afternoon photos, all locos (including #6325) were safely displayed inside AoSRM's heated roundhouse for the evening photo session. Small, battery-powered lights put into the headlights, well-placed portable lighting, and the use of fog machines produced the smoky, steamy, dreamy atmosphere created by the talented Peter Lerro for his group of camera-toting railfans. With the brick roundhouse's 18 timber-framed stalls, a spacious back shop, wood water tank, a big turntable and 22 steamers currently on-site, the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum provides a very real venue for such creative railroad photography. Be Safe.

John B. Corns
Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum

Date: 01/08/21 08:22
Author: mfmalk

Thank you everyone for the comments and private messages; I appreciate it all!

I approached this event with three thoughts:
1. Only use a 50mm focal length lens which would provide uniformity throughout the images.
2. Feature as much as possible the natural light from the large bay windows and skylights.
3. Apply a soft pastel treatment in Photoshop instead of harsh contrast. The color palette is way too nice to be converted into monochrome.
I am very happy with the results.

I wish I would have had the opportunity to meet Jerry Jacobson; and hope he is smiling from above on the Age of Steam Roundhouse.

A belated Healthy and Happy New Year to all!

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/21 08:24 by mfmalk.

Date: 01/08/21 09:29
Author: srfreer

WauhopM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that photo correct showing 6325 steamed up.

Just because a locomotive looks like it is "live", remember that looks can be deceiving!

Date: 01/08/21 11:04
Author: Tominde

Looking at those photos it is hard to imagine that we are looking at a modern recently built roundhouse.  Extremely well done.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds