Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Steam & Excursion > AFT Move Notes- Long Beach to Anaheim, CA

Date: 01/09/21 08:41
AFT Move Notes- Long Beach to Anaheim, CA
Author: BoilingMan

Move Notes:
Long Beach to Anaheim:
Friday January 9, 1976
I have no notes for this move. It would have been SP to ATSF, but I don't know the exact route or where the exchange was made.
The track at Angel Stadium is gone now.

Date: 01/09/21 20:57
Re: AFT Move Notes- Long Beach to Anaheim, CA
Author: Espee2019

I was at the Fullerton Santa Fe/Amtrak depot around 7am.  When a headlight was spotted approaching from the west, everyone rushed closer to the tracks.  (Except maybe the guy who was napping on one of the platform wagons.)
It was a diesel switcher (Alco?) hauling some of the AFT cars. 4449 brought the remainder of the train a bit later.

Date: 01/09/21 22:35
Author: BoilingMan

There were all sorts of various maneuvers needed to get the train spotted correctly at the display sites. No two were ever alike. The location RR’s switchers nearly always assisted in this. (as you might imagine, the 2101, 4449, and 610 were not ideal switchers) The tricky part was getting the flat cars to a place where they could be unloaded AND that was close to the site. This explains what you saw at Fullerton.
SR

Date: 01/09/21 22:49
Author: GreenFlag

I was at Fullerton also early that morning and remember the first move with a Santa Fe unit on the point. At the moment, I'm thinking it may have been a GP35. I have slides from Fullerton to the train being spotted at Anaheim Stadium. Need to get them out and scan them. Thanks for your interesting stories so far on the  moves in So Cal. 

Date: 01/10/21 09:55
Author: towazy

GreenFlag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was at Fullerton also early that morning and
> remember the first move with a Santa Fe unit on
> the point. At the moment, I'm thinking it may have
> been a GP35. I have slides from Fullerton to the
> train being spotted at Anaheim Stadium. Need to
> get them out and scan them. Thanks for your
> interesting stories so far on the  moves in So
> Cal. 

it would awesome if you could. There are so many who photographed the AFT yet so few of actually spotting of the train...or even its passing other than the locos. There are quite a few  display sites that I have never seen represented photographically. 

SR has again provided an excellent vehicle to get some of those never seen photos posted,before they fade away in history never to seen!

Tom

Date: 02/18/21 11:09
Author: UPJeff

I was in the crew car for the trip.  What a great time that was.  I have no idea of the exact route either.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds