Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Steam & Excursion > What a great steam tour…

Date: 09/08/21 14:47
What a great steam tour…
Author: Copy19

The 4014 trip is one for the books.  Thanks to computers we could follow it as we never dreamed of years ago and enjoy timely photography, big crowds and good media coverage.  Thank you Trainorders.

Here's  a special tip of my cap to Lance Garrels (santafe199) and his friends for their energy, enthusiasm and coverage of the Kansas Pacific.   

JB - Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 14:51 by Copy19.

Date: 09/08/21 16:45
Re: What a great steam tour…
Author: co614

Yes, what a wondeful pleasure and privilege to be able to follow the grand tour from the comfort of our homes and enjoy watching this grand machine display the magic of steam across the land.

Hearty thanks to the senior management of the Union Pacific RR for their committment to celebrating their heritage and the role steam played in the growth of the nation, and to Ed Dickens and his team for doing a first rate job being her caretakers and so ably representing the industry.

The huge crowds all along the way clearly demonstrate the wisdom of UP's investment.

Onward & Upward.  Ross Rowland 

Date: 09/08/21 16:52
Author: srfreer

A "grand slam" for the UP public relations team!

Date: 09/08/21 17:11
Author: Keystone1

Very nice engine picture...front engine...rods down.

Date: 09/08/21 19:05
Author: Bob3985

I concur that the technology today allows us to view these trips like never before.
Thanks to UP and the steam team for this journey. 
It appears that all went safely.
Here's to their next adventure. 

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/08/21 19:25
Author: ironmtn

I'll add my thanks and appreciation as well. I thought the entire tour was well planned and well executed, and the Big Boy looked good. I watched a number of the stops from the webcam mounted up on the tender, and it was so gratifying and pleasing to see such a tremendous public response.

I had followed the 4014 on the initial lap two years ago out to Utah for the Golden Spike celebration, and posted my photos here on TO a year later in recollection. And I so, so wanted to follow it this year through my hometown of St. Louis and across Missouri in celebration of my home state's bicentennial. But other circumstances precluded doing that.  So, I really appreciated the opportunity to follow along via UP's own information and webcam, and the photos and videos here on Trainorders. And my special thanks as well to my friend Lance Garrels for his fine coverage across Kansas, particularly on the KP. Wish I could have been there with you!

Thanks so much, Union Pacific. Kudos to the railroad and the entire steam crew for a job well done!

MC

Date: 09/09/21 05:59
Author: Frisco1522

Geez, I didn't know it had a web cam on the tender.  As Ironmtn knows, the amount of planning, preparation and a multitude of things that go into just a "weekend fantrip" this one must have been a hoot to put together.
Looks like everybody did their job and the trip drew hundreds of thousands of people to the trackside (too many too close in a lot of instances).
Like many others, I wouldn't have thought that I'd ever see a UP 4000 running.  I was lucky enough to ride a short segment with it and was treated with courtesy by the crew.  Thank you for that.
Congratulations to all involved, it really was an extravaganza and for a brief time something to take people's minds off all the bad things going on in the country.

Date: 09/09/21 07:47
Author: Spikes

Congrats again to the Union Pacific, Ed Dickens, and the 4014 steam crew for this and the past three excursions in our USA. The UP steam program began with 8444 and progressed toward what exists today - a BIG, successful, and inspiring activity. After seeing 4014, millions are now new rail enthusiasts. It is sad that some past TO posts were so negative.
Anyway, I helped restore a Baldwin 4-8-4 for 5 years, I have ridden behind 844 and 3985, I was a 4014 cab host at the LA Fair, I rode the 4014 hospital train over Cajon, and I bought a dome ticket with 4014 over Cajon. Please donate or help with steam programs across the country!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds