Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Steam & Excursion > Quebec Central snowplow restored.

Date: 09/08/21 20:37
Quebec Central snowplow restored.
Author: Off-pending

The Monticello Railway Museum has completed restoration of their 1918 built Quebec Central wooden snowplow. Today the plow was pulled out of the museums new wood shop and taken to White Heath to be turned. 

The plow was delivered to the museum by the Illinois Terminal Railroad in what would end up being that railroads last train from Decatur to Champaign. The plow has sat mostly stored inside until the museum built a heated car shop with an extensive wood shop attached. This project is the first completed in the new shop. 

Date: 09/08/21 20:45
Re: Quebec Central snowplow restored.
Author: wabash2800

Nice. I hope to see more of your work. "Wooden"? I only see steel.

Victor

Date: 09/08/21 21:35
Author: Jim700

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . "Wooden"? I only see steel.

Perhaps describe it as steel-clad on the front end?  I see lots of wood.  If the wing was extended, I think you'd see only a wood car body behind it.

Date: 09/08/21 22:09
Author: callum_out

Those are so cool flying thru the air doing a barrel roll! That's not duty for the faint hearted in heavy snow.
Now it looks too pretty to use.

Out 

Date: 09/09/21 06:41
Author: moonliter

Great job, I must get back to this wonderful museum after the borders reopen.

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Nice. I hope to see more of your work. "Wooden"? I
> only see steel.
The CPR (QCR's parent) rebuilt many wooden plows from the 1880-1920 period into steel plows.  Angus shops in Montreal did the work from 1920 onward.  Many on these plows are still on the roster today. 
I can't find info on QC40065 but its sister QC40066 was built in 1913 so it may have been a candidate for rebuilding in the twenties. In the 1990s, this plow was assigned to Saint John, NB as CP400605.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Added info;  I just found out from the museum's Facebook page that plow was numbered CP400654  prior the the restoration.  I will inquire with friend here in Ottawa if he can add any infoabout CP400564's history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/21 09:42 by moonliter.

Date: 09/09/21 09:41
Author: PHall

He didn't say the plow was wood. He said it had been worked on in the new woodshop.
These Canadian Pacific plows have a steel body but have wood lining the walls on the inside the same as many steel cabooses.

Date: 09/09/21 09:59
Author: moonliter

PHall Wrote:
> He didn't say the plow was wood. He said it had
> been worked on in the new woodshop.
> These Canadian Pacific plows have a steel body but
> have wood lining the walls on the inside the same
> as many steel cabooses.

The CPR had switched to steel in the mid- teens however being frugal they rebuilt many wooden plows in the 20's. 
The museum's website that states the plow was built by Russel in 1918, like other QCR plows it was rebuilt by Angus Shops sometime along the way.  Here is a link to the museum's website https://www.mrym.org/maintenance-of-way it show the plow before the restoration.  A lot more wood than on the Angus built plows from the twenties onward.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/21 10:00 by moonliter.

Date: 09/09/21 13:46

Thanks for the correction all. I usually get ignored... I suppose it's the social distance theory in practice. <G>

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/21 13:48 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/09/21 20:02
Author: ChrisCampi

Wow! Congratulations to the restoration crew. She's a beautiful piece.

Date: 09/09/21 20:15

I think the Mad River people at Bellevue Ohio and the folks at Monticello, both achieve a lot for what they have in resources.

Victor

Date: 09/10/21 07:25
Author: MaryMcPherson

Almost as big news as the restoration is that the White Heath wye is in service and available to turn equipment.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/10/21 07:35
Author: Spoony81

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> Almost as big news as the restoration is that the
> White Heath wye is in service and available to
> turn equipment.

When did that take place? I asked one of the guys at the end of our speeder trip at RR days a few years ago, he didn't think it would happen. Really cool that they got it done and now have wye's on both ends and in a few years or so a turntable

Date: 09/10/21 10:31
Author: Off-pending

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> Almost as big news as the restoration is that the
> White Heath wye is in service and available to
> turn equipment.

The wye in White Heath has been in service for the last 3-4 years. It’s usually blocked by storage cars.

Here's a couple shots of the Polar Express train being turned after the 2019 season. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/21 10:33 by Off-pending.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds