Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Steam & Excursion > One decent Big Boy runby

Date: 09/14/21 17:30
One decent Big Boy runby
Author: steph62850

My partner was doing the driving so she elected the Road 66 grade crossing north of Greeley CO as the place we would watch and record Big Boy 4014 on the final day of the 2021 tour.  Georgette has little experience at photo runbys while I have done many over the years.  This was not a red hot location.  Shooting into the sun and with smoke filled skies, I wasn't expecting the best results.  She was going to shoot video on her iPhone while I had a Fujifilm W3 3D camera and a Sony a6000 for my hardware.  So what happens when Big Boy roars past with Ed Dickens waving away a young woman standing way to close to the track?  Georgette completely fumbles it and can only get a shot of the train receding into the distance.  Meanwhile, I got a spot that's halfway decent and I'm recording on the a6000 when Humpty Dumpty stumbles his way right in front of me.  Nothing I haven't experienced before, alas.  But, the W3 is set up just right, so one out of three ain't bad.  It's decent as 2D video, albeit backlit and only 720p, but too "flat" in 3D.  So here are the three results.

Stephanie Ann

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/14/21 18:17
Re: One decent Big Boy runby
Author: UP951West

Thanks for sharing your videos because I had wanted to be out there for UP 4014 but too many issues suddenly came up. 
It's hard to predict what excited people will do as shown by the guy that walked right in front of the camera and nearly fell over the track. 

Date: 09/14/21 19:43
Author: AndyBrown

steph62850 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> when Humpty Dumpty
> stumbles his way right in front of me.  

Ha!  Your description is right on.  I'm still laughing.

The other video is good.  Sounds like the engine is actully working pretty hard there.

Andy

Date: 09/14/21 20:57
Author: nsrlink

steph62850 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when Humpty Dumpty
> stumbles his way right in front of me. 

That's why the RR puts all those rocks out there, so you can throw then at inconsiderate people.

Date: 09/15/21 09:59
Author: Macster

I think this is the best video that shows the diesels were in dynamic braking as well. 

Date: 09/15/21 16:53
Author: nycman

Thanks for your videos, Steph.  Your humpty-dumpty experience seems to be the norm when we try to get decent videos. "What, someone else wants a shot?"  Completely uncaring.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds