Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Steam & Excursion > AFT Confidential 64- Baltimore MD

Date: 09/16/21 20:36
AFT Confidential 64- Baltimore MD
Author: BoilingMan

64    Baltimore, MD     Sept. 17-20, 1976

We arrived in Baltimore in a truly drenching rain! The whole site was awash under an inch or two of water (this was not an entirely bad thing for those with imagination, as we shall see). We sloshed into action unloading the flats and building the entrance/exit ramps. It was crazy! Somehow the electricians managed to drag their cable without lighting themselves up. I'm not kidding, it was bad. I'll bet they woke up screaming for weeks! By dusk we had everything pretty much squared away.

The site was the old Martin Plant in Middle River, north of Baltimore. Fun Fact: Part of this plant was built with French money in the early part of WWII – the French wanted Martin Maryland bombers ASAP! (Talk about too little too late. Sigh.) Anyway, there were acres of pavement, now somewhat underwater, and those with vision came up with a new version of late night golf cart entertainment: Golf Cart Boat Racing! If I recall, this pavement actually rolled all the way into the Chesapeake Bay. (Martin built Mariner & Mars flying boats here too) It's a small wonder we didn't have a repeat of the St Louis misadventure!
SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Photo 1. Notice the cable tied off on the end of the 201 Car. Eventually that will have to be plugged into the Bunk/Generator car from where I shot this. The electricians are off somewhere drawing straws or calling their next of kin …
I visited the B&O RR Museum while we were there. A few Faves:
Photo 2. C&O 614. Why 611 in my photo? Towards the end of steam, C&O leased some RF&P locomotives, including RF&P #614. To avoid a numbering conflict, C&O renumbered its own 614 to 611. And it still carried that number when it eventually came to the B&O Museum. In four years Ross would have her up and running, but of course no one knew this in 1976 – not even Ross. One can imagine the confusion today had Ross not restored her original number!
Photo 3. Another locomotive with another life to live: WM's “Big 6” shay. Cass would make her whole again in four years.   And again – who knew!

Photo 4. Still another! C&O 2-6-6-2 1309 will wait 38 years, but as I am writing this, she is in Cumberland, MD, undergoing the full treatment and will also live again.  In 1976 I'd have never guessed these three were only waiting!
Photo 5. C&O Hudson 490. Maybe beauty really is only skin deep:
Photo 6. (Oh dear..)

Date: 09/16/21 20:37
Re: AFT Confidential 64- Baltimore MD

Date: 09/17/21 13:35
Author: SP4360

What, no pics of golf carts with rooster tails?

Date: 09/17/21 15:56
Author: towazy

Isn't this where the local bicentennial committee sponsor sign miraculously found it's way into the bunk car upon departure creating a furor for weeks?   Was just  a souvenir of the visit. 

Tom 

Date: 09/17/21 16:13

In my notes that happened a little later on, and I tell the tale- it’ll come up. But it sure could have been here, I’m not entirely sure.

Dale- no, I didn’t get any “boating” pics. It was raining and I maybe was reluctant to get the camera wet.
I think the floodwaters receded after that first afternoon, so the nautical golf cart thing was (disappointingly) short lived. A shame- that stunt was pretty funny!
SR

Date: 09/17/21 16:32
Author: ble692

Craig has more or less the same photos at the B&O RR museum, but I'll throw this one in for the people content.

Date: 09/17/21 16:45

Wow- that’s a curious mix: Mike Shannon (Security), Jose USA (PR Host) Craig (Steam Crew- but Security at the time), I can’t remember this guy’s name, Bobby (Steam Crew), and Larry Wines (Security).
I can’t remember the guy in the gangway’s name either.
SR

Date: 09/17/21 20:39
Author: sp3204

I will give this a shot...John Hendricks is the 4th guy from the left. He was in the money department, can't remember his exact title? I believe the man in the
gangway is Randy Bobo who if memory serves was in tickets.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds