Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Steam & Excursion > A steamy reminder in Sparks

Date: 09/18/21 16:20
A steamy reminder in Sparks
Author: Copy19

I had nearly forgotten about this painting I did back in 1975 or so.  I donated it to hang in the replica SP depot in downtown Sparks next to the Sparks Nugget.  I learned this week it is now hanging in the Sparks Heritage Museum across the street (now called Victorian Ave.). They asked me to send a bio of my career to add near the picture which I was very flattered to provide.

It was a lot of fun to see the subject of my painting in person.  The painting shows No. 8 climbing Montgomery Pass on the Carson & Colorado  with the westbound train running from Nevada into the Owens Valley in California.  No. 8 has a fascinating history having worked on the Nevada-California-Oregon and Carson & Colorado which became part of the SP narrow gauge.  It was retired in 1955, having been in service for 48 years!   No. 8 is still on display across the street from the museum.

When my wife saw a photo of the long forgotten painting she said, "You do good dirt,". Hah.

JB - Omaha

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/21 16:32 by Copy19.

Date: 09/18/21 17:07
Re: A steamy reminder in Sparks
Author: IC_2024

Good dirt, indeed, John- haha!   Yes, I've seen your painting over at the Sparks Heritage Museum before-- well done...   Glad you gave them some bio info, too.  So much has changed here in Reno/Sparks-- you wouldn't recognize the place, anymore.   Glad your painting survived and is displayed for all to see!

Date: 09/19/21 09:51
Author: gonx

Fantastic!

I like the vertical curve.

-Lee

Date: 09/19/21 11:37
Author: asheldrake

LOVE our wives compliments......GREAT painting.    Arlen

Date: 09/20/21 07:16
Author: atsf121

Very cool!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/20/21 08:11
Author: GMUP

Excellent painting, as usual!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds