Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Loudest Dadburned Engine, Part 2

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/02/22 15:48
The Loudest Dadburned Engine, Part 2
Author: MaryMcPherson

Here I submit evidence for the previously made claim.  I had not put my hands over my ears since I was much, much younger.

The T-Hog made me do it!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/02/22 16:17
Re: The Loudest Dadburned Engine, Part 2
Author: 4-4-0LiveSteam

LOVE IT!!

Posted from Android

Date: 10/02/22 16:47
Author: Kemacprr

That has to be the longest and loudest one pass steam video I've ever seen. It looked like the forrest was on fire at the beginning !!  Well done !!  -- Ken 

Date: 10/02/22 17:56
Author: 462pacific

What a dirty way to run a fine steam locomotive. The videos are exceptional.

Date: 10/02/22 20:11
Author: zoohogger

That is darn fantastic. Beautiful sound.

I see some "wildlife" was flushed out of the forest.

Rick Z

Date: 10/02/22 21:57
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Thank for the vid. Consarn it, I'm no longer flumoxxed, flabbergasted and gobsmacked.

Date: 10/03/22 03:32
Author: JPB

What a great video! On Saturday 8/13/22, the day of the 2102+425 double header excursion to Jim Thorpe, I was driving east on PA rte 54 from Hometown to Nesquehoning and not being from the area I had no idea where the track was relative to the highway as it was very wooded. My windows were closed and the A/C was on when all of a sudden I was shocked to hear the pounding of the T1 and its whistle that apparently was alongside me though out of sight. And on the excursion's return trip upgrade out of Nesquehoning I was trackside when the 2102 went by - my ears stung!

Date: 10/03/22 04:30
Author: AndyBrown

Wow!  That was quite a runby!  I love that the engine is louder than the whistle, which is not often the case and some of those other whistle happy engineers make it even more obtrusive, but this was just perfect!  And very cool that you got that slip on video; excellent all around.

Andy

Date: 10/03/22 06:07
Author: Frisco1522

You might be on to something Mary, much as I hate to admit it.
I've seen videos of 1522 where you could see the bell ringing and see the steam from the whistle but couldn't hear them.  When we first started operating, she overpowered most video camera's audio system.
Her exhaust compared to the T was a sharper crack, but on that runby I would probably still be lying on the ground in awe.
I need to get my butt over there and hear for myself.
I used to love working the engine hard through small towns and listening to the exhaust bouncing back and forth between buildings.
Damn I miss doing that.

Date: 10/03/22 06:56
Author: Crabbshell

Awesome what a way to start the day!

Wayne Crabb
San Gabriel, CA

Date: 10/03/22 07:54
Author: whitethorne

Mary your video is what is all about to be a railfan trackside!!!
Thanks

Date: 10/03/22 08:02
Author: sig292

I hope there is a CD  coming!

Date: 10/03/22 08:48
Author: wcamp1472

You can expect that locos without feedwater-heating systems will
have a distinctly louder, clearer exhaust sounds, than feedwater heater-equipped locos.

And one 'chasing-video' ( on line)  of 1522 --- has distinctly sharp exhaust, loud, well timed,
evenly-spaced 'events.'.   Fits the very definition of: "As square as a die!"

W.

( 'Die' , as above, is an early machinist's tool for cutting threads on round steel stock.  
   The early versions were square in shape, made of case-hardened steel, with
    thread-cutting teeth in the center,  

They were turned with conventional open-end wrenches.  
    Newer thread-cutting dies are 6-sided, and are generally used with a
    specific die-wrench, interchangeable --- for different sized threads.

Valve setters were machinists skilled at setting [adjusting the variables] of valve gear levers
    so that the asymmetrical valve gear, produces even-sounding exhaust blasts.   The circle
    described by the eccentric crank, has un-equal half-segments....its not an even, vertical-line
    of 180-degrees ----- more degrees around tte backside, than down the front---
    as a result of the eccentric-rod having it's front pivot at the lower end of the curved reversing 
    link of the Walschaert "gear".)

Date: 10/03/22 10:07
Author: co614

One fine video !!!  About as good a 5 minutes of steam doing its thing in grand style as I've ever heard. In today's reality that's as close to the " full Monty" as you can get. Congratulations to the R&N steam team and to Andy Muller for all he's doing to keep the steam flame burning brightly.

Ross Rowland 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/22 16:20 by co614.

Date: 10/03/22 10:27
Author: Macster

Hot damn that was INCREDIBLE. I thought the 425 was loud!

Date: 10/03/22 10:44
Author: train1275

I've just been watching and rewatching this all morning !
Amazing video and excellent sound.

Date: 10/03/22 10:48
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable video!!

Larry

Date: 10/03/22 12:33
Author: Frisco1522

I keep going back and thinking I live by the tracks and could listen to that daily before the damned diesels ruined my world.
If you had your 9 on you, you could have winged that asshat with the Instamatic who just had to run through your video.  Left him there in the ditch.  He could have gone in back of you instead. 
That is heavy metal at its finest!

Date: 10/03/22 15:46
Author: tehachapi-dave

This was the first trip we missed of the 02, for those who have not come yet this is the greatest steam and Tran show in 2022 period.  18 car passenger train on 1.5 to 2% grades unassisted, can't ask for more, well maybe a few more cars.  Next Saturday and the end of the month they do it again.  The overcast and humid air certainly made for even more dramatic video.  

Dave

Date: 10/03/22 16:26
Author: 8notch

Mary and Kurt,
 Awesome video and sound. At 1.33 in the video til we see the train it was like the old Heinz Ketchup commerical saying anticipation is making me wait. Well it was well worth the wait.
Robert in Island City Oregon

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds