Home Open Account Help 163 users online

Steam & Excursion > Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980


Date: 11/17/22 11:05
Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: thebluecomet

In and around the Thurmond, WV area October 18, 1980.

 








Date: 11/17/22 11:06
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: thebluecomet

Run by at Thurmond.








Date: 11/17/22 12:46
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: ClubCar

I especially love the 3rd photo which shows the famous club/observation car, ex-B&O 3302 "Edward G. Hooper" which today is sadly rusting away at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, a real crime.  The other photos are also very nice.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 11/17/22 14:05
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: CO2707

Thank You for reminding us of that.

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I especially love the 3rd photo which shows the
> famous club/observation car, ex-B&O 3302 "Edward
> G. Hooper" which today is sadly rusting away at
> the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, a
> real crime.  The other photos are also very
> nice.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 11/17/22 21:32
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: BCHellman

In the second photo, did not know the C&O had searchlight signals.



Date: 11/18/22 15:42
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: gbmott

BCHellman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the second photo, did not know the C&O had
> searchlight signals.

I didn't think so either and I don't think those are searchlights.  The bottom units are unlit and I suspect the only aspects those signals can display are STOP (R/R/ dark) and RESTRICTING (R/R/Y).  I'd welcome differing opinions.

Gordon



Date: 11/18/22 15:50
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: gbmott

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . . which today is sadly rusting away at
> the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, a
> real crime. 
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

It's time to give it a break, John.  We know what you think and I agree with at least some of it, but there is a new Director now -- I've met her and was impressed.  She has reached out to John Hankey and patched up that relationship though I gather John is not in good health.  They are undertaking restoration of the National Limited obs which also suffered greatly under earlier management.  If you really care, then I think it's time to start sending positive messages instead of continually rehashing past affronts.  Just my opinion.

Gordon



Date: 11/18/22 17:56
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: DavidP

Nice reminder of what a handsome engine the 614 is.  Too bad she's not running today.  But the various resurrection stories we see every couple years...4014, 1309, 2102, etc. gives us hope!

Dave



Date: 11/18/22 18:05
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: mkancle

I walked the tracks for miles both ways between 10 and 15 years ago near Thurmond and those "odd" signals were not there. They didn't make it to the end when the legacy C&O signal system was cut over nearly a decade ago now. Interesting! I never saw anything like them throughout the New River District.

Take care,

Matt



Date: 11/18/22 18:55
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: BCHellman

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BCHellman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In the second photo, did not know the C&O had
> > searchlight signals.
>
> I didn't think so either and I don't think those
> are searchlights.  The bottom units are unlit and
> I suspect the only aspects those signals can
> display are STOP (R/R/ dark) and RESTRICTING
> (R/R/Y).  I'd welcome differing opinions.
>
On that kind of a mainline in that configuration you would not find aspects of (R/R) or ( R/R/Y)  only.  There would be greens. 

They are definitely searchlights.

So is this on the C&O?



Date: 11/19/22 06:43
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: thebluecomet

October 18, 1980 was a Saturday and I was following the C&O main west from Richmond.  The steam trips were being run out of Huntington both Saturday and Sunday, October 19.  I do not recall the exact location of those searchlight signals.  My notes on the slide only say "Thurmond area".



Date: 11/21/22 16:23
Re: Chessie System 614 Thurmond, WV Fall 1980
Author: NKP779

would somebody have interior photos of the EDWIN G. HOOPER tail car?

Posted from Android



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0664 seconds