Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Steam & Excursion > Bruce waited ... and maybe got a better 2nd pic: GTW 4-8-4 ('56)

Date: 01/31/23 05:28
Bruce waited ... and maybe got a better 2nd pic: GTW 4-8-4 ('56)
Author: valmont

The date was 11/25/56 @ Chicago when Bruce Black took these photos ... the first one was terrific, then 6327 pulled forward a bit, the ladder came out ... and BB took another one.

Date: 01/31/23 06:44
Re: Bruce waited ... and maybe got a better 2nd pic: GTW 4-8-4 ('
Author: refarkas

Two "A+" steam photos!
Bob

Date: 01/31/23 07:09
Author: ClubCar

I love these photos also as that was a beautiful steam locomotive.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/31/23 08:07
Author: BlaineM

Both photos are excellent, such detail to view and the lighting is great.  Thanks.
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 01/31/23 09:38
Author: Ritzville

Excellent series!!

Larry

Date: 01/31/23 10:18
Author: wcamp1472

I give up.
What's he doing up at the top of the ladder?
The chute and its counterweights are down lower.

Can't figure out what's up there...that's a dangerous height
to be up on a wooden ladder.

There's no way the guy holding the ladder could do
anything to help steady it.

I"d bet that's not the first time the guy's had to go up there.

Date: 01/31/23 11:57
Author: Trainman41

Good looking engine !  When I was a teenager, I went with my folks on a trip to western Canada. One of their friends, was a Engineer for
Canadian National.  So he got me a cab ride on one of their  4-8-2 Mountain types, known as "Bullet Bettys" We went out 40 Miles west from Saskatoon
and caught a passenger local at one of the station stops.  Then it was a run across the prairie at 70 MPH.  I was sitting behind the engineer, and it
just amazed me, how those side rods were just a blur . The engineer let me blow the whistle at one of the grade crossing,  that was so cool.
After we arrived at Saskatoon, he took me down to the roundhouse.  This was in 1958 and the motive power was still  about 50 % steam. My
engineer was also the Road Foreman . There was another 4-8-2 engine there and he let me put it on the turntable, and into a roundhouse stall
He was standing next to me telling me what to do. He told me to crack the throttle just a little bit to get the engine moving, then close the throttle.
It was such a feeling of power doing that.  After that, he asked he if I wanted to run a diesel, which I did.  It was a GP9. It was fun, but not early
as much as running steam. That happened 65 years ago,  but those life long memories, make it seem like I just did it yesterday

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds