Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > Zippy and 3985

Date: 04/05/04 09:45
Zippy and 3985
Author: BobP

Today's Zippy strip "Train of Thought" features 3985 in rather accurate detail. Now if somebody tells me Zippy is Steve Lee (or vica-versa)I think I'll ..................... .

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/comics/Zippy_the_Pinhead_Color.dtl

Does the cartoonist Bill Griffith hang out here??????

Date: 04/05/04 11:06
Re: Zippy and 3985
Author: IC_2024

Thanks for the post. Always enjoy cartoons when they feature RR'ing. "For better or worse" features John's model railroading hobby and trains in general once in a while. Also, a few years back, "Gasoline Alley" did a feature on the famous photographer O.Winston Link whose pseudonym was O. Wink 'N Blink for the cartoon. They even had his famous Iaeger, WV drive-in movie shot portrayed. If I recall, "Railfan & Railroad" did a short piece on it as well.
Oh, by the way, if Zippy is to be "Steve Lee-like", he needs to be smoking a cigar while running!

Date: 04/06/04 14:25
Re: Zippy and 3985
Author: toledopatch

In December, 2000, Griffith did another Zippy strip that included an accurate-looking drawing of a passenger train pulled by an F unit -- the only incongruity was that the F looked like it was in the CNW scheme but the scenery was cactus and joshua trees.

I suspect Griffith is simply an accurate artist when it comes to drawing these subjects. Bill Watterson also was known for accurate drawings of trains, and other heavy machinery, in the "Calvin & Hobbes" strip.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds