Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Steam & Excursion > #261 Duluth tickets available on-line now

Date: 03/04/05 08:46
#261 Duluth tickets available on-line now
Author: SilverSky

The Milwaukee Road #261 website is back on line (Thanks, Doug!!) and is available at www.261.com for ordering tickets for the May 21 and 22, 2005 roundtrip from Minneapolis Junction to Duluth and return. Super Dome #53 will make its first trip behind the steam locomotive on these dates. Premium class (Dome and Skytop) seating is almost sold-out as of this writing. Coach (adult) is $129.00 - (children 3-14) is $89.00. First class is $229.00 and premium is $329.00.

The website also offers tickets on a diesel excursion the evening of May 21 which will include the Dome #53 and Skytop #186 on the North Shore Scenic RR, the former DM&IR lakefront line between Duluth and Two Harbors.

This trip is being operated in conjunction with Amtrak, BNSF and the Lake Superior Railroad museum. There will be an Amtrak diesel along to satisfy the operating contract and to provide HEP for the trailing consist.

This appears to be the first mainline steam excursion of the year and may very well be one of the few to operate this year. As it will be necessary to trip-lease Amtrak compatible coaches and first class cars for the trip, I would suggest making reservations early so you are not disappointed. It will not be simple to provide additional equipment to accommodate last minute passengers. I hope all of you turn out to support this operation. Thanks!

Silver Sky

Date: 03/10/05 10:21
Re: #261 Duluth tickets available on-line now
Author: stanhunter

The website is vague regarding the details of the trip - I assume the trip runs up to Duluth on Saturday, return to Minneapolis on Sunday - is this correct? What are the departure times? What is the equipment to be used on the train? Thanks for your help - I'm interested in going on this run but would like some details...

Date: 03/10/05 16:52

Steve,
You are correct. The Saturday portion is one way to Duluth and the return occurs on Sunday. Departure from Minneapolis Jct is at 900am with a 130pm arrival in Duluth. On Sunday the return trip is scheduled to depart Duluth at 1100am with an approximate arrival back at Minneapolis Jct at 330pm. Equipment will be from Amtrak certified cars owned by FO 261 and other sources who have coaches and first class lounges available for trip lease. FO 261 cars include baggage-dorm tool car "Grand Canyon", two former Pennsy Budd-built "Clocker" coaches which should be certified by then, lounge 3103 "Wisconsin Valley", office cars "Montana" and "Lamberts Point", recently purchased Milwaukee Super Dome #53 and Skytop parlor-lounge "Cedar Rapids". The lounges, office cars, dome and Skytop are either first class or premium class cars. As a sidelight, the arrival/departure point in Duluth will the former Union Station which now houses the Lake Superior Railroad museum's fine collection of equipment. Hope you can make the trip.

Silver Sky

Date: 03/15/05 13:45
Author: stanhunter

Silver Sky-

Thanks for your info. I'm all signed up for the trip and looking forward to seeing Duluth and the Lake Superior Transportation Museum, as well as a great ride behind the 261. See ya then.

Steve

Date: 03/15/05 17:51

Steve,
You'll really enjoy the trip, particularly the long pull (about 15-17 miles) off the the Lake Superior shoreline on the return trip on Sunday. Bring along warm clothes, just in case. I've seen a 20 to 30 degree drop in temperature between Minneapolis and Duluth. Lake Superior is one big air conditioning unit! Thanks!
Silver Sky

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds