Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe GP35 Lettering

Date: 01/26/06 06:21
Santa Fe GP35 Lettering
Author: atsf5704

In the late 1970's - early 1980's (pre-rebuild), Santa Fe GP35's in the blue and yellow warbonnet scheme usually had three things in small lettering on the last door on the long hood on the engineer's side and two things on the fireman's side. One of these is "Fire Exstinguisher Inside", does anyone have a pic where the other two can be read or know what they say? I'm working on some GP35 models and can't tell what goes back there.

Date: 01/26/06 11:26
Re: Santa Fe GP35 Lettering
Author: SantaFe4644

The best place for Santa Fe GP 35 info is Cinthia Priest's Santa Fe Diesel Volume 2. It show's all of the paint schemes that the 35's wore. also Q Station online All about the ATSF,BNSF,and BN may have some info.
Santa Fe 4644 West out

Date: 01/26/06 18:51
Author: shastafan

JUMPER CABLE
INSIDE

is on the last door on the fireman's side of 3367. Of course, the best shot I have is of 3326 which had no stencils on those doors!

The GP30 I have pictures of has "Jumper Cable Inside" on the last doors of both sides and "Fire Extinguisher Inside on the doors just ahead, again on both sides.

Hope this helps.

John

Date: 01/26/06 22:04
Author: Evan_Werkema

atsf5704 Wrote:

> In the late 1970's - early 1980's (pre-rebuild),
> Santa Fe GP35's in the blue and yellow warbonnet
> scheme usually had three things in small lettering
> on the last door on the long hood on the
> engineer's side and two things on the fireman's
> side.

Looking through my slides from the late 70's and early 80's, it looks like units in both blue and yellow warbonnet and the older "bookend" scheme had the same things written there. The three items I can read are

Fire
Extinguisher
Inside

Air Hose, Brake Pipe
1(some fraction) x 22"

Jumper Cable
Inside

The exact arrangement of the items varied from unit to unit, some only had the top two items, and one (3407 in bookends) only had the Fire Extinguisher item. Of the handful of units where I had views of both sides, the same number of items appeared on each side. The 3319 in warbonnet in 1980 and the 3437 in bookends in 1980/83 had all three items on each side (see below for 3437). Other units had only two items listed (engineer's side of 3341 below).

The image below is a montage of last doors of several units, blown up as best I could. The number of the unit and the date is below each photo. If you can see the big "S" in Santa Fe, it's the engineer's side, if not, it's the fireman's side. The 3341 and 3358 were in warbonnet, the rest in bookends. Hope this helps.

Date: 01/27/06 05:53
Author: atsf5704

John (shastafan) and Evan,

Many, many thanks!!!

Charles

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds