Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Nostalgia & History > more 40 foot boxcars

Date: 04/03/06 00:45
more 40 foot boxcars
Author: choochoocharlie

Here are a few more shots of older 40 foot boxcars. (BG - before graffiti)

1 - SERX 1040 - Union Carbide Corporation/Linde Division
2 - EL 83038 - Erie Lackawanna built in March of 1946

Date: 04/03/06 00:56
Re: more 40 foot boxcars
Author: choochoocharlie

1 - MON 10354 - Monon 40 foot boxcar built in June, 1947 as best I can read off of the car data.
2 - NP 3167 - Northern Pacific plug door/sliding door 40 foot box built in December, 1959.

Hope you enjoy seeing these older cars that are pretty much extinct now. I noticed my son is posting some of my other freight car shots on the Model Railroading board. Since he is kind of in the business end of model loco and car production, he's gotten to know the car manufacturers by their spotting features. I am still not sure who built all of these cars, but I enjoyed seeing them and photographing them as they went by me in the many trains that I have seen over a bunch of years. (Too many to mention here. The years, not the trains....... LOL) A lot of the rolling stock now is not as interesting because they either have only reporting marks and car data on the cars or they are turned ugly with graffiti for the most part.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 04/03/06 04:09
Author: geomel1

Thanks for posting, Charlie!
These cars are from my "formative years" and the period I intend to model!
George

Date: 10/19/23 15:18
Author: wpdude

Anybody able to decipher the diagonal admonishment on the left side of the Union CarbideĀ  car? Left of the ACI label? I ask because my wife actually works for Linde>>> LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/23 15:19 by wpdude.

Date: 10/21/23 04:23
Author: EricSP

The first two lines look like they say "Home for repairs."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0735 seconds