Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Nostalgia & History > train rear ends

Date: 04/05/06 23:59
train rear ends
Author: choochoocharlie

Four more rear ends of trains. I can't say cabeese shots, because the last one shows a little different situation where the caboose could not be on the rear end.

1 - SP caboose #1 on the end of the Cascade local heading out of the Eugene yard.
2 - Chicago and North Western caboose #11061 on the end of a Westbound freight sitting in the Eugene yard getting its airtest after the crew arrived and got onto the power. The Carman's little scooter is next to the tail car.

Date: 04/06/06 00:10
Re: train rear ends

1 - SSW #88 on an eastbound led by 4433 and 3 other SD-9s leaving Eugene thru Irving siding. Probably the EUALY headed for UP's Albina yard in Portland.
2 - It's pretty obvious why this SP boxcar is on this end of the train instead of the caboose just in front of it. The drawbar was pulled out near Surf on SPs Coastline. They also came apart here in the Santa Barbara yard too. Train, referred to as 1-830, is about 7,000 feet long and head end power is 8946 - 9377 - 9276 and 3803.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 04/06/06 01:17
Author: sploopconductor

Nice pics, Charles! I always liked SP 1. Great porches for the BBQ, or for getting some sun! Another favorite of mine was putting the beach chair out there and waving to everybody as we rolled by!

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 04/06/06 11:21
Author: dmaffei

Good stuff... Love those hack photos. Do you remember how long SP#1 stay in the Eug. area? Thanks for posting.
Love the boxcar photos you posted from days past. Brings back memories from my era of SP railfanning.

Dave

Date: 04/06/06 11:25
Author: BCHellman

choochoocharlie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1 - SSW #88 on an eastbound led by 4433 and 3
> other SD-9s leaving Eugene thru Irving siding.
> Probably the EUALY headed for UP's Albina yard in
> Portland.

That's something I never expected to see on the SP -- A "Begin CTC" starting at an automatic signal. It's perfectly legit to have an automatic signal in CTC territory, but usually CTC territory started with an Absolute signal (a.k.a. A signal). Have to look this one up in the Special Instructions.

Date: 04/06/06 19:13
Author: ats90mph

BCHellman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> choochoocharlie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 1 - SSW #88 on an eastbound led by 4433 and 3
> > other SD-9s leaving Eugene thru Irving siding.
> > Probably the EUALY headed for UP's Albina yard
> in
> > Portland.
>
> That's something I never expected to see on the SP
> -- A "Begin CTC" starting at an automatic signal.
> It's perfectly legit to have an automatic signal
> in CTC territory, but usually CTC territory
> started with an Absolute signal (a.k.a. A signal).
> Have to look this one up in the Special
> Instructions.

It's that way probably because it was coming out of the yard, and that signal governed the track into the CTC limits without having to have a switch lock, or some other device, I forget the rule. Also what is the purpose of an "A" Plate on a absolute signal. Wouldn't the absence of a number plate suffice?

Date: 04/06/06 21:10
Author: Clarence

What's a CNW caboose doing in Eugene, Oregon? A fine place to be sure but a touch off the reservation.
Clarence

Date: 04/06/06 23:00

The SSW caboose is just coming out of the Eugene yard and switching onto the siding track of Irving north of the Departure yard. Just behind me was Irving road crossing and then the railroad east end of the SP Eugene Departure yard.

As for the C&NW caboose in Eugene, all I can say is that I guess it was in pool service. Have seen a couple of C&NW cabeese in Eugene. Have also photos of MOPAC, WP, SOO line, DRGW, UP, ATSF, BN and other railroads cabeese that have made guest appearances up here in the Pacific Northwest. And enjoyed seeing every one of them.

If I remember correctly the SP #1 caboose was up here for awhile. Maybe a month or two or more. If anyone else has a time span when they know it was here, please let us know. Being on the Cascade local in the above photo, it would at least be coming back to Eugene for another assignment..................... C.C.Chas.

Date: 04/07/06 14:30
Author: BCHellman

ats90mph Wrote:
> Also what is the purpose of an "A" Plate on
> a absolute signal. Wouldn't the absence of a
> number plate suffice?

Yes, as it does today; however, the SP to emphasis the absolute properties of a signal attached an "A" plate to CTC controlled signals (700 series rules). Interlocking signals did not have "A" plates and that's how you could tell the difference between an interlocking controlled signal and a CTC controlled signal. The "A" plates were removed around 1986 when I believe the SP adapted the General Code rulebook.

I still not sure what is going on with the track onto the siding. Head-out signals in lieu of switch locks into controlled territory are not automatic signals -- they are non-controlled absolutes.

Date: 04/07/06 18:08
Author: groundhog

nice shot of that number 1 i don,t remember the number , but in oakland we had several come in that we used, once on a local to richmond that large deck was fun going through different cities, waving to people wish i had a camera back then.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds