Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > unknown location help

Date: 04/16/06 16:26
unknown location help
Author: alco636

While scanning old family slides, I came across this image. My mom says it was taken in Duluth, MN. But I have a hunch it wasn't. Perhaps the U.P. of Michigan? Any help would be appreciated. Photo is from the late 1940s to the late 1950s.

Date: 04/17/06 08:09
Re: unknown location help
Author: jcnienow

Looks to me like it is Duluth and is taken from the combination highway and NP Railroad bridge
that connected Rice's Point with Wisconsin. Interstate 535 and the replacement highway bridge,
(the Blatnik Bridge-Interstate 535) would be directly behind the photographer. One section of the
bridge from which the photo was taken still survives as a fishing pier. Minnesota Point is visible behind the lakers. Thanks for sharing this gem.... it brings back lots of memories.

Date: 04/17/06 09:25
Author: alco636

Thanks for the help. I wish my folks would have done a better job marking dates and locations on slides. They do have a dozen or so slides from trips to northern Minnesota. But none to the U.P. of Michigan. I'm gonna go with Duluth here. I didn't know there was a bridge there that had vehicle, and railroad traffic on it. Thanks for the help.

Date: 04/17/06 10:51
Author: pweeden

Definitely, the photo is taken from the Interstate Bridge from a vehicle traveling on the east bound lane of the Duluth-Superior Interstate Bridge, between Rice's Point (Duluth) and Conners' Point (Superior) across the mouth of the St. Louis River. This swing bridge (which is no longer existent) carried vehicle traffic on the two outer roadway lanes, and railroad (Soo Line) track in the center. The ore carriers in the photo (which is shot from a standing vehicle (because the bridge is open for vessel traffic) waiting to go east from Duluth to Superior. The lake carriers (ore boats) in the photo are owned by Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co. (the black-hulled carrier approaching); and the Pittsburgh Steamship Division, United States Steel Corp. (the boxcar-red-hulled vessel, largely hidden) to the viewing right, just moving into the Front Channel. The land formation in the background is Minnesota Point, which runs as an isthmus, between Minnesota and Wisconsin, and separates the vastness of Lake Superior (behind it) from the Duluth-Superior Harbor.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds