Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Nostalgia & History > Colorado Midland and the mines it served

Date: 08/21/06 23:16
Colorado Midland and the mines it served
Author: xtra1188w

I have a few slides in my collection from where someone took slide images of old (1905) Colorado Midland maps. I'm not sure about posting them here, but I'll post one of them at a fairly low resolution so that y'all can know what I'm talking about here. I've forgotten where I got these slides, I bought them, or someone gave them to me a lot of years back, and I've since forgotten the details of when and where I got them. I looked at these maps after I scanned them, but I didn't see any copyright matkings on them, but I hate to distribute someone else's property if they still care anything about this stuff, but still and all, I also hate that they'll just be wasted as far as other folks go that are interested in this sort of thing if they can't or don't have a chance to see the maps.

What do y'all think about this?

Con

Date: 08/22/06 05:10
Re: Colorado Midland and the mines it served
Author: tolland

The detail of that slide is very good. It would be interesting to try to reproduce that slide on a large format printer and see how it looks. I'll bet the Leadville Museum would be interested in that slide.

Jim Burrill
Loveland, CO

Date: 08/22/06 06:46
Author: MTMEngineer

That map looks familiar. I don't have time right now to page thru Abbott's or McFarlands books on the CM, but I think it's in one of those - if not, then one of my other Colorado railroad resources.

Date: 08/22/06 06:50
Author: LenKratz

My friend Mel McFarland from Colorado Springs, is an author and historian who is an expert on the Colorado Midland. Mel authored "The Midland Route: A Colorado Midland Guide and Data Book" published in 1980 by Pruett Publishing Co. of Boulder, Colorado. I think that Mel would be glad to see any and all items related to the Colorado Midland.

Mel and I were part of a group that did a lot of railfanning out of Colorado Springs in the 1980's. I understand that Mel is working on the Pikes Peak Cog Railway at Manitou Springs. I haven't seen him lately but I have friends in COS who see him at local NRHS meetings, so I could probably put you in touch with him if you're interested in finding a good home for your Midland items.

LK in AZ

Date: 08/22/06 08:05
Author: africansteam

Great map, Con. You might want to try uploading it in two parts for easier readability.

Cheers,
Africansteam

Date: 08/23/06 10:18
Author: WW

The cartographer, E. J. Haley, was one of the early (if not charter) members of the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club http://www.rockymtnrrclub.org. You might check with the Club to see if this map was something they reproduced. It may be copyrighted.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds