Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > Name that Station

Date: 10/12/06 15:32
Name that Station
Author: MacBeau

Ah, the joys of Photoshop.
Be of Good Cheer,
—Mac

An apology and important detail: I really should have given the railroad, which is SP—sorry.

Date: 10/12/06 15:50
Re: Name that Station
Author: NscaleMike

hmmm....the roof is in decent shape...no clue on this one.

Got me...great image Mac!

Date: 10/12/06 16:11
Author: MTMEngineer

Ya can't go by the roof, as that is obviously a modern "improvement".

The largest (and thus most expensive and prestegious) panes of glass are about 18" x20", most are about 8" x 10", indicating construction before about 1905 or before. Thus, I'd rule out the Chicago Milwaukee & Puget Sound. Maybe that door on the right is a replacement, as it doesn't really match other glass. I'd bet the building is even earlier construction.

The wide eaves indicate a moderate to heavy rain area. UP, perhaps, in PNW?

Date: 10/12/06 16:19
Author: NormSchultze

Look at the angles of the standing seams on the metal roof. That light and pole...Looks like a flop,

Date: 10/12/06 16:31
Author: stanhunter

I would say Winnemucca, NV, but I think that depot's been torn down...

Date: 10/12/06 16:43
Author: MacBeau

stevedavis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would say Winnemucca, NV, but I think that
> depot's been torn down...

Congratulations Steve, that was quick. I cannot attest to whether or not this depot still stands, but it is indeed Winnemucca on a cold (44°F) August night, 1977. Norm spotted the oddity in the roof, and while I must confess complete ignorance in discerning the word “flop” in this instance, it is the marriage of two negatives; each based off the edge of the building, hence the converging lines and double shadow off the pole.
—Mac

Date: 10/12/06 18:01
Author: Pullman

Fine Basque meals right across the street at the Martin Hotel. Corner of Railroad and Malarkey.

http://www.gbae.org/the_venue.htm

And lots of little glasses of red wine, too...

Date: 10/12/06 22:08
Author: xtra1188w

Winnemucca Nevada huh? I'd started thinking that Smithville or Smallville might also be good names for this depot.

Con

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0299 seconds