Home Open Account Help 179 users online

Nostalgia & History > Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, 1942

Date: 10/12/06 08:27
Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, 1942
Author: srlerxst

Found this photo in an antique store and thought this might be of some interest here. Notes on the back of the photo says "Loading trucks on flat cars, arrow indicates Sgt. Espo". For history on the Claiborne-Polk Military Railroad see this web site: http://lrs.railstuff.net/r-cpmr.htm

Date: 10/14/06 01:20
Re: Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, 1942
Author: DNRY122

Many years ago I read an article about this railroad. Its nickname was "Old Crime & Punishment". The author commented on what an assortment of wornout old steam engines the Army rounded up to start service, and commented that "The only new equipment we had was the wrecker crane, and boy, were we going to need that!"

Date: 10/14/06 20:20
Author: srlerxst

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many years ago I read an article about this
> railroad. Its nickname was "Old Crime &
> Punishment". The author commented on what an
> assortment of wornout old steam engines the Army
> rounded up to start service, and commented that
> "The only new equipment we had was the wrecker
> crane, and boy, were we going to need that!"

Yes that makes sense, just like the U.S. Military buying old ALCO and Baldwin switchers because they were cheaper than new or used EMD units. Thank you for sharing that story, I guess that photo was not to obscure after all for someone here not to have ever heard of that Military RR.

Date: 10/14/06 23:53
Author: Steamjocky

My dad worked at Camp Polk during WWII while he was attached to the 714th Railway Operating Batallion, Company C. I know several others who were with the 714th also.

JDE

Date: 10/15/06 06:35
Author: n6nvr

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My dad worked at Camp Polk during WWII while he
> was attached to the 714th Railway Operating
> Batallion, Company C. I know several others who
> were with the 714th also.
>
> JDE

My Dad was there toward the end of the war with the 451st Motor Ambulance Company as a Platoon Leader. It was segregated outfit, black troops, white officers. One of his major challenges was keeping his troops out of the clutches of some of the local law agencies. Since he was considered a "Yankee Sojer" you can imagine the reception his troops received in some areas. They were in line to go to Okinawa and then on in for the invasion of Japan. Obviously they were quite relieved when the big bombs went off. His Company Commander was his Best Man after the war, and they stayed friends until they both passed away in early 2000, a few weeks apart. Clive was building him a caboose bird feeder when he went.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds