Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Nostalgia & History > A little more red in a sea of green, grass that is.

Date: 12/01/06 04:58
A little more red in a sea of green, grass that is.
Author: SP6190

Not to far east of Wetaskwin Alberta is the small (and I do mean small) town of Gwynne. In 1979 the only thing this town had to offer was a couple (OK maybe a few more than a couple) of houses, a small country store with attached gas station, a church, two grain elevators, a old wooden (really old) station, and a Canadian Pacific branch line complete with train (at that moment).

Here we have the CP 8669 making itÂ’s way east through town and the rolling countryside (in the general direction of Driedmeat Lake) on the morning of August 12th . Got to love those names.

Date: 12/01/06 06:57
Re: A little more red in a sea of green, grass that is.
Author: M-420

Very very nice

Date: 12/01/06 11:43
Author: TopcoatSmith

Double that, I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' ...

TCS - mighty nice

Date: 12/01/06 15:34
Author: rschonfelder

Not sure if you are aware but you have more history in the shot than the mere GP's and F B unit. Those grain elevators have virtually disappeared from the Canadian Prarie skyline. Very few are maintained as historical structures. I always found the Cdn elevators to be beautiful and am very disappointed to hear of their demise being one who as a little boy would always scour the prairie looking for these things knowing full well there was a track going around it somewhere. On what may be termed the most boring and lengthy drive (Swift Current to Moose Jaw - how do you like those names?) it was like moving a peg across a game board when we reached another set of elevators every 13-18 miles. Too bad my parents weren't railfans.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds