Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Nostalgia & History > Corona, Ca operations?

Date: 01/13/07 09:20
Corona, Ca operations?
Author: mikado

Back in the day, let's say 1950-1970. When the packing houses were still going strong. What would ATSF operations be like in Corona Ca? I assume there were locals stationed there, but was there a "hauler" that took traffic to LA or San Berdoo or Barstow. Would it stay in Corona or would there be a train run between the big terminals to pick up the local traffic?
Thanks,
Mikado

Date: 01/13/07 10:23
Re: Corona, Ca operations?
Author: TomPlatten

Me Too! I would like to see some type of map showing the lines, which, I assume, came off the Elsinore branch and fanned out in the Corona area. I know one line ran along side Ontario Ave.

Date: 01/13/07 17:28
Author: spjim

If you haven't been there, go to http://ljames1.home.netcom.com/scph.html

Click on "Riverside County" then "Corona."

Jim

Date: 01/13/07 20:13
Author: mundo

Figure 24, shows one of the spurs off the Elsinore line.
Ontario ave on bottom, line that went up Compton Ave to at least two more houses is on the extreme right, and you can see spur going into the packing house.

The spur up Compton and the packing house were west of the present I-15

A short spur not shown, went off the photo on the right side, for a bulk oil unloading area. This spur was just east of the present I-15.

Some day I will have more data and a photo or two, but a map of the spurs is what is missing to complete the puzzle. None of the spurs showed up in Santa Fe Employee Timetables. Going southwest from the Elsinore line at Magnolia Ave, it was a very steep grade, which the rules were that brakeman would ride the tops of the cars, to help control braking.

The spur portion that is mentioned on Ontario, did not join Ontario, until further west (left of photo) at about Garretson Ave. then west to at least Buena Vista. This portion of the line was still in place
into the 1980s' going as far west as the Present Main St in Corona.
Just east of Main street was about a 2,000 ft spur that went into
a smudge oil hold tank. I recall now a church sits on part of the tank land.

Date: 01/13/07 22:57
Author: MyfordBrowning

The Santa Fe ran a number of turns out of San Bernardino that ran to points such as Fullerton, Placentia, Orange, Santa Ana, Venta Spur and Corona. Which turns were operated changed depending on the traffic demands and the thinking of the railroads operating officials. These trains would normally operated in the late afternoon-evening in order to serve the citrus industry. Third District Locals were run between LA and San Berdoo to handle general freight. Another train ran by the Santa Fe were the Fruit Pickup train (PUX)that ran from LA to San Berdoo at night to pickup the citrus fruit carloads that the turns didn't take to San Berdoo.

There were switcher assigned to some points and I think that Corona had one as well as the Elsinore local that originated there. The traffic patterns and train assignments changed from time to time.

Date: 01/14/07 09:15
Author: mikado

Thank you for the information

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds