Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Nostalgia & History > Milwaukee memory

Date: 03/18/07 23:16
Milwaukee memory
Author: FT

I have several shots of the Milwaukee Road that have only r-o-w or facilities that I cherish
as much as the trains roaring past. I neglected the eastern end of the juice on most of my trips.
Never got a train here at Ringling, but this twilight shot of the depot is still special. If I
could have just got that Circus train here that I got on the west end, what a catch that would
have been. I bet it went through in the dark, as it was mid morning at the state line.

Keith A

Date: 03/18/07 23:58
Re: Milwaukee memory
Author: NGotwalt

Great shot, I'd love to see more, especially that circus train.
Cheers,
Nick

Date: 03/19/07 01:35
Author: westernrails

And this is in which state? Location please.

Date: 03/19/07 03:55
Author: SP6190

westernrails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And this is in which state? Location please.

Ringling is in Montana about 90-100 (more or less) miles north of Livingston on US89.

Date: 03/19/07 06:18
Author: CCT41

Keith, by chance do you have a photo of the Carterville Depot? I have one of the station signs from this depot. I visited the remains of Carterville 2 years ago, and not much is left of the town.

John

Date: 03/19/07 06:58
Author: westernrails

Thanks John.

SP6190 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> westernrails Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And this is in which state? Location please.
>
> Ringling is in Montana about 90-100 (more or less)
> miles north of Livingston on US89.

Date: 03/19/07 07:11
Author: HoosierVirg

I was there a couple of times in the 1970's, are we looking west in that picture, my memory is a little faded about the location. Where was the junction with the White Sulphur Springs & Yellowstone Park Railway in relation to the station? Thanks and have a good and safe day!

Date: 03/19/07 07:41
Author: bradleymckay

Great photo "FT"!

Straight down the tracks, to the west, is 16 Mile Canyon (also called Montana Canyon). For those who never had the chance to see 16 Mile Canyon up close may I suggest a DVD from the Milwaukee Road Historical Association simply titled "The Milwaukee Road - Lines West". It contains video of many parts of the canyon from a moving train ("videoed" by Milwaukee Road brakeman/conductor Darrell Dewald).

AM

Date: 03/19/07 08:21
Author: FT

Sorry CCT41, I never shot the depot at Carterville, wish I had.

NGotwalt, to see the circus train, go back to Western Rail postings on 2-2-07, @15:03.
From Rob l's comments in re reading, I guess the circus train wouldn't have been on the
Milw this far east.

My one great failure was not knowing about the spectacular Eagles Nest Tunnel in 16 Mile
Canyon. It was a hike in, but worth a whole day if you got a train at the right time.

Keith A

Date: 03/19/07 09:01
Author: WAF

Not to spending more time on the MILW photographing the last years was a lot of railfan's greatest failures

Date: 03/19/07 09:24
Author: alco636

Great photo Keith. Thanks for sharing. Too bad the Milwaukee, and it's electrics, are long gone.

Date: 03/19/07 09:52
Author: BaltimoreOhio

Up until a few years ago, I knew very little about the Milwaukee and its lines west. I also knew very little about Jimmy Buffett until I met my wife, a card-carrying Parrot-head. She played for me his song "Ringling, Ringling" and asked me about the line "electric trains pass by maybe once or twice a month." I had no idea, but I didn't want her to think all this railfan stuff was in vain so I told her I just assumed Buffett was talking about the circus, and maybe Lionel trains or something to that effect. Come to find out that he was singing about Ringling, Montana (he also mentions the train was heading towards Musselshell). That piqued my interest, and soon I picked up the book "Milwaukee Road Revisited," then I picked-up the Pentrex DVD set, and before long I found myself visiting every Milwaukee road website I could find, and reading any thread on TO about the Milwaukee. Later this year, my wife and I are planning to spend a week in Montana, and part of our trip will involve railfanning some of the old MILW locations and riding the Hiawatha Trail (and I guess we'll have to stop by Ringling). I'm hardly a MILW expert by any means, but it has become a pet interest of mine and I owe it all to Jimmy.

Date: 03/19/07 20:20
Author: cabinman

I learned of the Milwaukee Road back in the early 70's. I made my first "pilgrimage" to Montana not long after. The first time I heard RINGLING-RINGLING by Jimmy B., I could not believe my ears. I have since worn out many copies(cassette and disc) Of LIVING AND DYING IN 3/4 TIME. That album got me through 28 years of long haul trucking and over 3 million miles.........and the music still holds up today.

Keith Turley/ Details West

Date: 03/19/07 21:53
Author: xtra1188w

As long as a picture has the quality of this picture, it doesn't need to have a train in it. In fact in some pictures of this sort, a train would just serve to clutter them up. Pictures that show a small town, or maybe just a train order office depot without much in the way of a town holds a lot of fascination for me.

Con

Date: 03/21/07 10:33
Author: Hiawatha101

Keith:

Very nice shot of Ringling. Here is a view from nearly the same angle taken in June 2006.
Note that the pink house beyond the depot is still there!

Gordy Bjoraker
Hiawatha101

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0831 seconds