Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > railroad themed restaturant in Chicago

Date: 04/17/07 00:17
railroad themed restaturant in Chicago
Author: colehour

This is a long shot -- does anyone remember a restaurant on 95th Street in Chicago that served the food via a Lionel train? They had an elongated horeshoe-shaped counter and the train would bring your burgers from the kitchen. I went there as a kid in the 1950s and often think about it whenever I drive down 95th Street. I remember longing to have one of those big Lionel transformers for my little layout.

Funny the memories that stick with you...

Jerry
Rome,Italy/Whiting, Indiana

Date: 04/17/07 04:53
Re: railroad themed restaturant in Chicago
Author: GPutz

I don't remember that one; but there was (is?) one like it in Des Plaines, IL. Gerry

Date: 04/17/07 07:32
Re: railroad themed restaturant in Chicago
Author: kevink

The Choo Choo Restaurant in Des Plaines is still open and located at 600 Lee St about a block north of the Metra station on the UP-NorthWest line.

There is a new kid on the block in Downers Grove, IL across the street from the Metra-BNSF station. The Two Toot Cafe also uses Lionel trains to deliver meals to the tables and counters.

I prefer the food at the Choo Choo over the selection at the Two Toot but both places are more geared toward younger kids.

Date: 04/17/07 10:41
Re: railroad themed restaurant in Chicago
Author: Gonut1

Cheers in Boston served beer to Norm and Cliff by Lionel.

Gonut

Date: 04/17/07 10:46
Author: jcaestecker

Ate at Snackville Jct. just last summer on a visit to see my oldest childhood friend. Typical burger joint fare and better than average milk shakes and malteds. Had the unfortunate experience of watching a basket of fries and a dog get spilled when a flatcar truck went on the ground coming out of the curve furthest from the kitchen. Interestingly, each time I've been there in the last 3 years, I've seen two elderly gentlemen with a cardboard box loaded with a few old Lionel locos seated at a table near the restroom. I suspect that when business is slow between meal times, they swap out the power on the railroad and perform Road Foreman duties.

Date: 04/17/07 11:30
Re: Last Run for the Snackville Junction
Author: kevink

Bad news- a co-worker lives in the neighborhood and just advised that April 30th is the last run for the Snackville Junction.

Date: 04/17/07 13:35
Author: colehour

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yes, I do remember it being in Evergreen Park or Beverly. I'll be in the States for a couple of weeks and perhaps I can convince my Mom to go to lunch there!

Jerry

Date: 04/17/07 16:41
Author: filmteknik

The Big Downtown @ 124 S. Wabash (Palmer House Building) has an overhead model L train that sometimes runs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds