Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Nostalgia & History > Vista-dome varieties and history

Date: 06/08/07 06:40
Vista-dome varieties and history
Author: bandob

Here are 2 dome cars that I found parked in Kansas City back in the 1980's. One looks like it might be one of the original home-made Burlington domes, with flat glass panels. I noted the floor under the dome was not depressed, either. It had coach seating. The other looks like a Pullman dome, from C&O/B&O lineage. Anyone able to give more information, history?

Thanks, Bandob

Date: 06/08/07 06:57
Re: Vista-dome varieties and history
Author: ATSF100WEST

Hi bandob,

To the best of my knowledge, you are spot on regarding the histories and origins of the cars. I am pretty sure the Burlington car is THE first/original prototype, that was the basis for the subsequent orders from Budd. The C & O car was part of the trainset hauled by the "yellow jacket" streamlined steam engines; I can't recall the name of the train.

I'm sure that others can provide more specific details.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 06/08/07 07:21
"The Chessie"
Author: ssafy

Was to be hauled x steam turbines, and the connecting train by streamlined 4-6-4's (rblt from
F19 4-6-2's). Can't recall destinations. Was an all coach Budd equipped domed train. Never entered
service. The Turbines lasated a couple of years & the 4-6-4's ran into about 1953. One is preserved at the B&O museum I believe. And yes those domes were flat sided glass. D&RGW, B&O,
got some domes & more. C&EI got some coaches, and some ended up in South America. I think MP
and possibly IC ended with some as well. I'm sure I'm not totally correct. Most of the trainsets
were sold . The F19's received new integral cast frames roller bearings throughout, different flu layout, and rotary cam or poppet valve gear. Really wasn't much left of the original engine.
Ron

Date: 06/08/07 07:54
Re: "The Chessie"
Author: bnsfbob

Here is a link on the C&O "Chessie" domes:

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/CO/

And a link on the Silver Castle CB&Q "pattern" dome (page down):

http://www.trainweb.org/railnewspb/Q/

Bob

Date: 06/08/07 09:42
Re: Vista-dome varieties and history
Author: TCnR

Curious where the orignals are now, any info?
Illinois Transit seems to find a lot of these, haven't checked out the inventory lately though.

Date: 06/08/07 12:38
Re: "Silver Castle"
Author: davew833

CB&Q dome #4709 pictured was actually the SECOND 'pattern dome' home-built by Burlington. The first one, #4714, was built/converted in 1945. This one was built in 1949, well after Budd was building and shipping 'real' domes for the California Zephyr and other CB&Q trains. #4714 was a prototype, built before any other domes, but I'm curious as to why Burlington built another homemade one after they became commercially available from Budd as well as other builders.

Date: 06/08/07 17:11
Author: xrds72

One is the Silver Castle and the other is Moonlight Dome. The Castle is owned by a group of people who also own Silver Garden. These same people also owned Moonlight Dome at the time these photos were taken.

Go to http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/WebLurkersDOMEmain/ to catch up on these cars current status.

Date: 06/08/07 22:56
Author: bnsfbob

davew833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CB&Q dome #4709 pictured was actually the SECOND
> 'pattern dome' home-built by Budd. The first one,
> #4714, was built/converted in 1945. This one was
> built in 1949, well after Budd was building and
> shipping 'real' domes for the California Zephyr
> and other CB&Q trains. #4714 was a prototype,
> built before any other domes, but I'm curious as
> to why Burlington built another homemade one after
> they became commercially available from Budd as
> well as other builders.

This is an excellent question. I looked through several of my dome books and could not find an answer. Weblurker's dome site says: "Additional cars were another "home built" coach in 1949 (to "balance out" the Twin Zephyr consists where the first home-built "pattern" dome was then assigned)". Some personal theories:

1. With the engineering work already done and perhaps tooling, patterns and left-over materials on hand, the Aurora shops was able to do the Silver Castle conversion quickly and for much less money than a new car from Budd.

2. CB&Q wanted a dome car for "pool" service or use as a spare. The recently built Budd domes were built for dedicated service on certain trains and none could be spared for general service or held in reserve. It would make sense that a lower acquisition cost, lower capacity car be used in reserve status.

3. CB&Q was between orders at Budd in 1949 when they decided they wanted an extra "pool" dome (I don't believe the Q took delivery of any new domes between 1948 and 1952). At the time, the Budd Company's backlog of orders was pretty high. Therefore, when a pre-war flat top coach came due for a re-build, the decision was made to convert it to a dome.

Any other ideas?

Bob

Date: 06/09/07 22:05
Author: davew833

Thanks for the theories, Bob. I'd forgotten about the gap from 1948-52 where Burlington took no deliveries. I have no theories of my own, but photos I've seen of the homebuilts running on trains which included Budd factory-builts sure made the former look crude by comparison!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0707 seconds