Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Nostalgia & History > Past & Present - My Entry - Huntington, Indiana

Date: 10/22/09 17:40
Past & Present - My Entry - Huntington, Indiana
Author: Q4960

The first photo I took of the EL in Huntington, Indiana some time in the early to mid-1960's. My late grandmother lived about 2 blocks from the Wabash and about 4 blocks from the Erie. As a boy I would walk from her home to the Erie tracks and watch the Alcos switch, passenger trains come and go as well as a few freights. I would also witness Wabash trains hit the Erie diamond. I probably used my father's camera to take the picture, at this time, an Argus C-33. I may have had my own camera at this time which consisted of an Argus C-3.
The second photo was taken on August 8, 2007 near the same location as the first. The only evidence I could find of anything Erie were the rails in the pavement. Everything else was gone. Progress, I guess.

Roger Holmes

Date: 10/22/09 18:53
Re: Past & Present - My Entry - Huntington, Indiana
Author: halfmoonharold

Is the Erie river bridge still there? It's been several years since I've been there.

Date: 10/22/09 18:55

I didn't check to see if the Erie bridge was still there. The Wabash freight and passenger depots are still there, but not used by the NS.

Date: 10/22/09 20:32
Author: P

How depressing

Date: 10/23/09 06:07
Author: matthew76

yes, the bridge is still there.thats about the only other thing in huntington left beside the rails in the pavement.

Date: 10/23/09 11:22
Author: elu34ch

what direction is the freight train heading? and in the second photo what direction would that be?

Date: 10/23/09 12:07
Author: yardclerk

Here is another view of the Huntington Ind Depot from my collection.

The photographer (unknown) was more interested in the locomotive than the depot obviously.

Yardclerk

Date: 10/23/09 17:30

what direction is the freight train heading? and in the second photo what direction would that be?

The freight is westbound...in each photo I'm facing east.

Roger

Date: 10/23/09 17:38

Thanks yardclerk for sharing that other photo!! I've seen a few photos of Huntington but this is one of the best I've seen.

Roger Holmes
ex-yard clerk
ex-machinist apprentice
ex-operator
ex-train dispatcher
ex-company photographer
ex-illustrator for rule of the week

Gulf, Mobile & Ohio
Toledo, Peoria & Western
Chicago & Northwestern

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds