Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Nostalgia & History > From the archives: Gritty Green River, Wyo.

Date: 03/24/10 12:52
From the archives: Gritty Green River, Wyo.
Author: Copy19

Here a couple of shots of Green River,Wyo. taken from the foot bridge across the yard looking west in the late 1940s. The first shows 4-6-4-4 Challenger 3936 and the second is 4-12-2 No. 9507. Also attached is an air view to orient yourself. JEB UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD MUSEUM

Date: 03/24/10 13:27
Re: From the archives: Gritty Green River, Wyo.
Author: highgreengraphics

Man, that footbridge has been there a long time... --- --- - --- JLH

Date: 03/24/10 14:29
Author: cozephyr

Sweet Green River, WY, aerial view in the days of UP steam - thanks for digging those gems out of the UPRR collection.

I'll be looking forward to future postings!

Date: 03/24/10 15:15
Author: Chief409

Anyone know why the Roundhouse was oriented they way it was. Prevailing winds perhaps?

Jeff

Date: 03/24/10 16:57
Author: highgreengraphics

That roundhouse orientation would seem to make the most sense - the prevailing northwesterlies at the back, and southern exposure to the sun. However, I found it interesting that the roundhouse in Evanston (That I reported on here several days ago undergoing restoration) is oriented the opposite way, as if to catch the northwestern wind on the turntable side, and the sun shines through the rear windows. But since the engines were brought in forward, and tender last, would the nice lighting and warmth be a better inside work environment? Just open the doors and run the engine in/out quick! --- --- - --- JLH

Date: 03/24/10 18:34
Author: SD45X

Love the long switches UP used in the yard.

Date: 03/24/10 19:03
Author: Bob3985

Well one can see the foundations in the open where part of the roundhouse was already taken down to the south side. I would guess that wind may have had an influence in what was kept standing.
Bob Krieger
UP/CRIP retired
Cheyenne

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds