Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cure for the Heat

Date: 06/16/11 15:11
Cure for the Heat
Author: santafe199

DR. I. M. Coole says: "Friends, do you have the 'Summertime Blues'? Are you feeling hot & bothered, sweaty & stinky in this summer heat? Does your collar feel like damp sandpaper? Just take a large dose of this image, and call me in the Bahamas"... (You won't complain about the heat so loudly next time.)

1. BN 8044 crew member very happily cleaning out a frozen-in track switch. These jobs are a snap! You just apply a SLIGHT bit of 'elbow grease' and in only 15 or 20 minutes you should be able to throw the switch, a least part of the way over. This very easy physical exertion is designed by Mother Nature to help give you warmth, should you need it. Quite often, she'll graciously give you EXTRA warmth (45 minutes, or more worth) by donating a tiny little breeze that will enable new darling little snowflakes to visit the barren areas you just cleaned out. Even better are mainline power switches with vacationing switch-point heaters. You get even more warmth by chopping & chipping & hammering & knocking tiny little chunks of ice not only from between the switch points, but from UNDERNEATH them as well. Mother Nature very lovingly thinks of everything...

Been there, done that...
This instructional warmth photo was taken by Steve Patterson, in Plainview, CO on December 21, 1986*.

(from the collection of)
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*several hours after this post it was brought to my attention that I made an error with this location info. I went back & double checked and found that I had transposed the date & location of another of Steve's trading slides. The correct info for the blizzard shot is actually at Denver on January 15, 1987. I have posted the correct image with the other (bogus) date & location and hope you enjoy...

D&RGW 3128 on an "Anshcutz Ski Special" at Plainview, CO on December 21, 1986 (for real, this time <:)

Sorry for my goof...

Lance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/22 07:29 by santafe199.

Date: 06/16/11 16:16
Re: Cure for the Heat
Author: SuperC

Youch! Glad I live in sunny California.

Adam

Date: 06/16/11 17:13
Author: rcall31060

Geez, that looks cold!

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 06/16/11 17:30
Author: swampfox

remember a lot of similar situations in nw ohio and chicago. hopefully will not get down in se georgia.........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds