Nostalgia & History > sp&s train orders, oregon trunk

Date: 06/20/11 15:32
sp&s train orders, oregon trunk
Author: 1959oe

sp&s train orders, oregon trunk

Date: 06/20/11 15:38
Re: sp&s train orders, oregon trunk
Author: odub

RGM was Robert G McCartney. He was Chief Dispatcher out of Vancouver, Washington for many years.

Don

Date: 06/20/11 16:50
Re: sp&s train orders, oregon trunk
Author: rob_l

Although these are "SP&S/OT" train order forms, these are of course Burlington Northern trains in Dec 1970.

The 4369 West is very likely train 137, hottest train on the railroad, running with a Vancouver - Bend interdivisional bulletined crew. Maybe Jim700 was the fireman on this train. They need to get to Bend on time to get their rest to take 138 back on time.

The 4246 East is probably a train 170, a 140, or a combined 140/170.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 06/20/11 19:38
Re: sp&s train orders, Oregon trunk
Author: mountaingoatgreg

Well even though they are officially BN I do appreciate you posting them!!

Now where is my flux capacitor so I can get my time machine back to 1968 and check out the Oregon Trunk...

Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg
http://www.oregontrunk.blogspot.com/

Date: 06/20/11 20:17
Author: stevelv

Was this the BN using SP&S trainorders or were the engines renumbered before the merger? Just asking because we have a C424 meeting a C636, both ex SP&S with Burlington Northern numbers.

Date: 06/20/11 21:07
Author: M-420

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was this the BN using SP&S trainorders or were the
> engines renumbered before the merger? Just asking
> because we have a C424 meeting a C636, both ex
> SP&S with Burlington Northern numbers.

BN... Dec 70 was post merger

Date: 06/20/11 22:31
Author: GN599

Very neat thanks for sharing. Yeah its post merger. They were still using the old forms as they were still good. A lot of meets took place and still take place at Opal City as it is one of the ''long'' sidings. Hopefully none of the big Alcos on the Westbound laid down on the hill and they had a good meet.

Date: 06/20/11 22:45
Author: Jim700

The supply of SP&S flimsies lasted a long time after the BN merger. Here's another Oregon Trunk train order issued to a very well known locomotive just over 1½ years after M-day.

Date: 06/21/11 09:18
Author: truxtrax

So Jim, were you the hogger on the Queens pride? Saw the locomotive in San Francisco and was impressed.

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 06/21/11 23:22
Author: SP8100

Jim700 Wrote:
> The supply of SP&S flimsies lasted a long time
> after the BN merger. Here's another Oregon Trunk
> train order issued to a very well known locomotive
> just over 1½ years after M-day.

Jim700,

For those of us late in the game or don't know, what was the very well known locomotive???

Thanks,
SP8100

Date: 06/22/11 00:07

truxtrax Wrote:
> So Jim, were you the hogger on the Queens pride?

Yeah, Larry, don't I wish! I was the guest of pilot engineer Wilbur C. "Bus" Rainey as I described in the TO thread at http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,165210,165292#msg-165292 which also has several pictures of the Flying Scotsman.

Date: 06/22/11 00:14

SP8100 Wrote:
> For those of us late in the game or don't know,
> what was the very well known locomotive???

It was Alan Pegler's famous steamer "Flying Scotsman", the London and North Eastern Railway #4472, which was touring the US at that time.

Date: 06/22/11 10:31
Author: lwilton

How do I read this TO? LNER 4472 has right over a few other things, so I would think it doesn't stop. But who does the "And wait at" clause apply to?

Date: 06/22/11 12:15
Author: SP8100

Jim700 Wrote:
> SP8100 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For those of us late in the game or don't know,
> > what was the very well known locomotive???
>
> It was Alan Pegler's famous steamer "Flying
> Scotsman", the London and North Eastern Railway
> #4472, which was touring the US at that time.

Jim,

Thanks for the SP&S Train orders and the link to the TO thread on this in 2002...

SP8100

Date: 09/16/16 11:47

lwilton Wrote:
> How do I read this TO? LNER 4472 has right over a few other things, so I
> would think it doesn't stop. But who does the "And wait at" clause apply to?

Sorry, Loren, that I overlooked your question years ago.  I just noticed it today while looking up some information for Steve Panzik. The "AND WAIT AT" instructs the Flying Scotsman to wait at the named stations until the given times for the arrival of the inferior eastward extra trains UP 858 and BN 4187.  The purpose is to allow the eastward trains to advance as far toward Wishram as they can against the stated wait times.  It saves the dispatcher from having to set up direct meets between the trains at a specific station which is very helpful for traffic management if any of the trains don't meet their expected running times.

Even 46½ years later I still revile the Bungling Nuisance's reversing of the timetable operational directions on the Oregon Trunk at the time of the merger.  It just doesn't seem right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/16 20:59 by Jim700.

Date: 09/16/16 15:52
Author: Chico43

lwilton Wrote:
> How do I read this TO? LNER 4472 has right over a
> few other things, so I would think it doesn't
> stop. But who does the "And wait at" clause apply
> to?

With this TO the dispatcher is instructing the superior westbound train to not leave the intermediate stations shown until the times indicated much the same as a train with a timetable schedule. The two inferior eastbound trains can then move against the westbound between the first named station and the last named station and clear it as prescribed by the rules. In the ols Santa Fe rulebook it would be Rule 86A and 86B. Without the waiting times the two eastbounds would be restricted to the last named station until the arrival of the superior westbound.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds