Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > Coast Starlight leaving Seattle 1979

Date: 06/20/11 19:40
Coast Starlight leaving Seattle 1979
Author: photobob

The clock on the King Street Station is a minute or past 11am as the Coast Starlight begins its trip to Los Angeles. I guess there's been a few change at this location.

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/

Date: 06/20/11 19:56
Re: Coast Starlight leaving Seattle 1979
Author: atsf121

I know one big change, I watched on TV as they imploded that ugly, awful excuse for a stadium.

Nathan

Date: 06/20/11 20:15
Author: Bermanator

Well, they took the prime movers out of the F40's, but the "power" still sorta goes past King Street station in the form of "cabbage" cars on the Talgo. The baggage cars in the photo I believe are still used today on the Starlight.

I thought the King Dome rocked! Sure, stuff fell from the ceiling now and again, and when the Mariner's hit a home run (rare), the fireworks smoke obscured the cheap seats. But usually no one sat in the 300 level. Outfield at the King Dome in 1979 was $2.00 and the cheap seats were $1.50. This would have been the second year of the Mariner's in the King dome!

The other cool thing about the King Dome is you could go to the other side of the dome or the West doors and watch the trains roll by into Stacy Yard under the Alaska Way Viaduct. Or watch and listed to SW8's,10's,12's,15's drill the yard pulling all the way out the ferry terminal or further to shove back. That ended about 15 years ago now when they ripped up the track.

Good times.

Bermanator, Lacey WA

Date: 06/20/11 20:48
Author: spjim

The Smith Tower is just about dead center in Photobob's image. In 1954 I took this photo from the top of the Smith Tower looking down at the area where Bob took his photo 25 years later. For an explanation of what's in the photo see http://coastdaylight.com/smith_tower.html

Jim Lancaster

Date: 06/20/11 22:45
Author: locotrol

To the right, in Bob's photo, is the box the Smith Tower came in. ;-) Here's a photo of the Smith Tower taken a few weeks back from the tug boat Hunter during the Maritime Festival.

BTW, that's a nice photo Bob! I still like the SDP40Fs and keep hoping we'll get a plastic one in HO one day. -- Keith Thompson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/11 22:47 by locotrol.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds