Home Open Account Help 159 users online

Nostalgia & History > Train time at Fort Edward NY, 1979

Date: 07/16/11 15:11
Train time at Fort Edward NY, 1979
Author: eminence_grise

On a beautiful fall day, October 16th,1979, the northbound Amtrak "Adirondack" makes a station stop at the classic D&H station at Fort Edward NY.

I had forgotten about the bright yellow jackets that "Century 21" real estate agents had to wear in those days.
Prior to meeting his wife off the train , we were chatting with him about Fort Edward and upstate New York. Despite differences between New Yorkers and Montrealers during the War of 1812, since that time relationships between the two former colonies have been very cordial.(He was a "Habs" fan deep in "Ranger" territory)

Soon after Amtrak carried on to the north, southbound freight SC2 arrived behind Bicentennial RS3 506.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/22 21:01 by eminence_grise.

Date: 07/16/11 17:34
Re: Train time at Fort Edward NY, 1979
Author: knightswell

Thanks for posting these two fine pictures. Sure do miss the D&H.

Date: 07/16/11 20:03
Author: Milwaukee

I always thought those D&H rebuilt RS-3 units looked so small compared to the others on their roster and seemed to be out of place leading mainline trains but they often did just that with the normal sized units following. Can anyone who ran some comment on the visibility out the front? I imagine they did have great visibility as the hood looks lower than your normal EMD, Alco, or GE low nose unit.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Date: 07/16/11 20:18
Author: rattenne

Very interesting photos. I was always a closet D&H fan and I like seeing photos of the early Turbos in service.

Date: 07/17/11 07:44
Author: eminence_grise

I'm pretty sure that red painted covered hopper behind the locomotives was for sand supplied to locomotive sanding towers at Rouses Point and Whitehall NY.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds