Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Nostalgia & History > Touch of Winter at Sand Creek

Date: 07/16/11 13:40
Touch of Winter at Sand Creek
Author: santafe199

Here's a scene to soothe those 'blast furnace blues' a bit. If your area of this great land is experiencing the same hot breath from Mother Nature we're having here in OZ, then you already know about the 100+ degrees almost every day of the past couple of weeks. Oh boy, is ever it summertime!

1. AT&SF 2101 is the east end switch parked in Sand Creek (Newton), KS just east of the yard office. The day brothers are inside getting a well deserved warmup on this unusually wintery day in March. They have just finished filling train 314 (caboose on right) & setting local train 1411 (caboose on left) and have vacated the lead so train 473 F-1 can depart town. Yours truly is the fool-hardy photographer with frozen fingers who will swing aboard the 473 for a working trip back home to Emporia on this frigid March 7, 1981.

Thanks for the hot cocoa!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/22 20:59 by santafe199.

Date: 07/16/11 20:11
Re: Touch of Winter at Sand Creek
Author: SCKP187

Hopefully you were out there working too because you had to line them out of the yard---but you're right, it sure looks good compared to today's 106 degrees, and the same proposed for the next 4 days. Thanks for the delightful difference.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/16/11 20:54
Author: ats90mph

Ironically, you were probably imagining a day like today when you took the photo. So, you got it, ENJOY IT! :-)

Date: 07/17/11 06:33
Author: texchief1

Nice shot!

Randy Lundgren

Date: 07/17/11 16:56
Author: flatcar

How well I remember. The 4 o'clock lead job at Sand Creek.

I spent 20 years ( more or less) on that job, as pin puller, field man, foreman and worked in all kinds of weather.

Date: 07/17/11 19:08
Author: mopacrr

Took some of my first pictures at Sand Creek, and got a number of cab rides on the lead

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds